Lightning

Mach MP3 sucks vs Stock L head..sounds sexual...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mach MP3 sucks vs Stock L head..sounds sexual...

Mach Mp3 Sucks Compared to Stock L head
I went through the trouble of sanding down the lower edge to get a correct fit..looks good..controls the 6 changer stock in my Lightning..just has terrible sound quality when cranked above half way...It is a plug and play...I have line level hook ups for the amp from my stock head unit..same wiring I used on this POS...
It came out of my daughter in laws 03 V-6 stang...I had always heard the mach stuff was very good..Not this one...pulled it back out...nice paper weight.

Report this post to a moderator

Old 12-30-2002, 06:40 PM
Re: Mach MP3 sucks vs Stock L head..sounds sexual...

Originally posted by Twisted99

Okay.

Old 12-30-2002, 07:01 PM
did i miss something?

Old 12-30-2002, 07:27 PM
Read this thread.....
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hreadid=100579

Originally posted by Crazyone
What happened is you got a deck out of JBL equipped car. They are intended to run with a subwoofer, and in most cases require the factory amp to run with. There are a ton of differant versions of that 6 disc changer(indash) to work with the differant systems. So its going to be a hit or miss type deal. Best suggestion is find out what everyone else that has a functioning system got theirs out of and get one. Most explorers with the 6 disc run teh JBL and won't interconnect with teh lightning. The lighting has no amplifer sooo one of three things will occur, being the amplified systems still use a 7v preamp you will still get low volumes from your speakers, if its the one equipped with a sub then yoiu will get all high level frequencys but nothing under 150hz. Lastly you will find one that works...my suggestion is get an indash and changer if you need more than 1 cd, or ge ta deck that does mp3s. I took a trip to atlanta on ONE disk in my MP3 player. over 6 hours of music. Before mp3's that was comparable to a 6 disc changer...

Just an FYI teh mp3 indash single disc player can play mp3's but the 6 disc changer htat interconnects to it cannot. Odd eh? Thats of course assuming they haven't changed anything recently...

Hope this makes sense as i am about asleep here..
Brandon

Old 12-30-2002, 07:32 PM
Twisted, you've got mail!

Old 12-30-2002, 07:57 PM
Funny you should say that..I have been in heaven since last Friday due to my trucks latest modification.
I got a Rockford Fosgate indash MP3/CD player.
I converted all my CDs from Waves to MP3s now have a nice little library going, burned a few Cds and I am doing OK.
Make sure your MP3s are 128 Kbps(CD quality or better..)
I hope there not home recording in 96 Kbps.
John O
NLOC 52

Old 12-30-2002, 08:34 PM
To Clarify Guys,

This Mach MP3 and CD player is out of an 03 Mustang...V-6 with just 4 chitty speakers...I have infinity components up front and coaxials in the rear corners....running left and rights in series @ 90watts 4 ohm..
the other side of the aftermarket amp is driving the 2 10 mtx's @
8 ohms...I did notice a lot more high frequencies coming from the back with this MP3 unit even with the crossovers as was before....Again..made in Brazil for Ford...the amp settings were the same as I run with the Stock Factory CD/cassette player. Must have something that is incompatible.
The Mustang it came out of now has MB Quarts Co-Axials in place of the stock 4 speakers....I was just trying to get some use outta this MP3 head...guess I'll look closer at what would be the correct one. Shame..everything but the sound was all I hoped it would be...This car is not JBL equipped..Now.. my 95 SHO is....

Last edited by Twisted99; 12-30-2002 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-31-2002, 12:14 AM
If its a MACH, its designed to be used with factory amps and even tho it will plug directly into your harness the wiring will not be correct.

Old 12-31-2002, 12:29 AM
As I posted in the other link

I have one in my L and its great.. I have an Alpine amp plus Focal speakers in the doors and MBQuarts in the rear.. the doors have been dynamatted.. I get comments all the time on the quality of the stereo, most telling me that is sounds better than their home stereo.. I got my radio from radios and more.. but I assume its the same thing..
I would go through it again to make sure everything is set up correctly..
Dana

Old 12-31-2002, 10:51 AM
dboat,
After reading your post I think I'll try adjustinng the line in on the amp. Possibly the pre-out voltage is different and needs synched to optimize. I fail to see how outboard amps are a factor here since the speakers runs just off the head.

While checking out www.vistion.com I find that the Mach mp# they sell looks just like the Ford MP3 unit I have. They state that it is a plug n play in a 2001 F-150....

Last edited by Twisted99; 12-31-2002 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-31-2002, 04:26 PM
Hey Twisted

dboat,
After reading your post I think I'll try adjustinng the line in on the amp. Possibly the pre-out voltage is different and needs synched to optimize. I fail to see how outboard amps are a factor here since the speakers runs just off the head.

While checking out www.vistion.com I find that the Mach mp# they sell looks just like the Ford MP3 unit I have. They state that it is a plug n play in a 2001 F-150....
the visteons are the same thing as well.. maybe I was just lucky.. but I did have the stereo shop do the install.. took 5 minutes.. I am now thinking about a graphic equalizer to get that last little bit out of my system.. I dont have a sub but the Focals are so good that I dont think I need or want one.. besides it all looks stock from the outside..
Good Luck and let me know how it comes out!!
Happy New Year
Dana

Old 12-31-2002, 06:07 PM
I also have a Mach MP3 (bought off eBay for 250 shipped) that was pulled from a 2002 Ranger, and it was a simple install. I am still using the factory speakers with a Clarion stealth sub and they sound a lot better than they did with the factory cassette radio.

Old 02-26-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by device manager
I also have a Mach MP3 (bought off eBay for 250 shipped) that was pulled from a 2002 Ranger, and it was a simple install. I am still using the factory speakers with a Clarion stealth sub and they sound a lot better than they did with the factory cassette radio.
Good to hear that it works well. I just bought a new one that was pulled out of a 2003 Ranger, and will be putting it in my 2002 F-150 SuperCrew.

Old 02-26-2003, 09:16 AM
Re: Mach MP3 sucks vs Stock L head..sounds sexual...

Old 02-26-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Argent L
If its a MACH, its designed to be used with factory amps and even tho it will plug directly into your harness the wiring will not be correct.
He is 100% right there. For a factory system, the MACH isn't too bad. No, it doesn't sound as good as the Pioneer MP3/MB Quart combo I had in the Lightning, but it is adequate.
You just have to run the entire system together for best performance.

Quick Reply: Mach MP3 sucks vs Stock L head..sounds sexual...