Lightning Concept Please confine your posts regarding the recently unveiled Lightning Concept to this forum. This will make finding information on the current Gen 2 Lightning much easier for our members.

SVT spokesman quoted in Autoweek - Lightning is Shelved - Perhaps permanently

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 06:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, even though they say postponed, I think its dead. SVT putting all its eggs in one basket is a bad idea. Look how the 03/04 cobras are selling WAY below MSRP. They wont make any money on the new cobras if the same thing happens. This will lead to the end of SVT as Ford HQ will see the losses and cut SVT completely. Looks like some Ford exec is looking to kill of the performance sector of his company.

Stupid basterds.

Chris
ps, it could be like it was with the mid-late 90s Lightnings. No L from 95-99 (or was is 96-99). If you use this time frame, the years lacking a L would be 05-09 (or 05-08).

Old 10-23-2004, 08:21 PM
I'm not happy .... But just maybe it will work out better for me, dam 2008 at the earliest, hard to swallow, but what can we do... Now I have to make my 2002 last even longer...

PEacE...............
Jim

Old 10-25-2004, 12:28 PM
Sad...sad sad.......

However, it makes me re-think my options here. I was going to get a new bolt once this lease is up but now I may just buy it out. Been a solid truck so far and much better than my 99 Lightning was.

I guess we can expect an SVT Escape next....

Old 10-25-2004, 03:16 PM
1999 Ford F150 Lightning Short Bed

Engine: V8 5.4L Supercharged
Trans: Automatic
Drive: 2 Wheel Drive
Mileage: 24,000

Equipment
Air Conditioning
Power Steering
Power Windows
Power Door Locks
Tilt Wheel
Cruise Control
AM/FM Stereo
Multi Compact Disc
Dual Front Air Bags
ABS (4-Wheel)
Leather
Power Seat
Sliding Rear Window
Stepside Bed
Hard Tonneau Cover
Bed Liner
Premium Wheels

Consumer Rated Condition: Excellent
"Excellent" condition means that the vehicle looks new, is in excellent mechanical condition and needs no reconditioning. This vehicle has never had any paint or body work and is free of rust. The vehicle has a clean title history and will pass a smog and safety inspection. The engine compartment is clean, with no fluid leaks and is free of any wear or visible defects. The vehicle also has complete and verifiable service records. Less than 5% of all used vehicles fall into this category.

Private Party Value $17,165

Here is TRADE IN VALUE
Trade-In Value $14,575

www.kbb.com

Old 10-27-2004, 11:33 AM
This just in from autoextremist.com:

Ford. Common sense apparently reigns over in Dearborn, as Ford has decided not to build its next-generation F-150 SVT Lightning pickup truck, in favor of making sure that its next-generation SVT Cobra Mustang, due for the 2007 model year, is as good as it can possibly be. Even though Ford is suggesting that the next Lightning is only postponed, you can bet that it will never see the light of day. We applaud this move - now, if they'd only bring back the SVT Focus...

Old 10-27-2004, 08:46 PM
one bitch email sent to autoextremist.com and here it is:
------------------------
I can only imagine what you guys are smoking over there. To say that dropping the SVT Lightning was a good move and that you applaud it is crazy. This brings me to my next point, dont smoke crack.

Guess you guys thing we should all be riding out pedals bikes everywhere too? What, I cant have a fast truck to haul my toys with?
------------------------

here is there email:
AEeditors@autoextremist.com

go flood those fools.

Chris

Old 11-02-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by whip
Couldn't have said it better! I was afraid we would be the beaten stepchildren if the genIII's happened. Don't get me wrong...it makes me sad and angry...but I think it is good for us gen-duecer's!

Doug....I think you may be wrong....to a degree. Our trucks may never (or not for many many years) sky rocket in price, but I think the value may go up some. Remember, once they stop making new ones, these trucks are worth what we want them to be worth. If everyone treats them as ford pickups, they aren't worth chit. If we treat them as the greatest sport/muscle truck to ever roam the streets, then we can sell them for what ever we want. Why is an old porche expensive? Because the snooty owner believes it is an engineering marvel, and an exclusive exotic. When in reality it is a POS and the engineers ought to be locked up for ignorance, and fleecing the public. What is an old porche really worth? Not much, when you consider a brake job is going to be a four digit price tag. Not to mention all the other work you will have to do.

Soooo, in short....this is good for ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
I'm not sure what an old porche is, but I own an old Porsche and they are not worth much. You can pick up lots of old 911s for less than $10K, and yes the parts are almost as expensive as aftermarket Lightining pieces.

Old 11-09-2004, 12:59 PM
Hey Folks - it's the new guy. I don't even own a Lightning yet, but I've wanted one since the day FMC "postponed" production of the Mercury Cougar S. For those that don't know, the Cougar S was designed and supposedly going to be available for the 2000 model year (just a year after the reintroduction of the Cougar) which would have been almost identical to the Contour SVT. When my '99 was totaled on a ski trip in Wyoming, I waited for the S, but eventually bought a V6 '00. I still would've have been the first back to the dealer to trade it up for the S, had it ever actually made it to production.

Instead of introducing an S model, FMC introduced the Focus SVT and eventually killed a promising Cougar after only four years. I've since been salivating for a car that not only looks fast, but IS fast from the factory.

I guess my point is, don't hold your breath for anything Ford has "postponed." And maybe I need to jump on the bandwagon and get my dream Shadow Grey Lightning before it's too late.