Lightning Concept Please confine your posts regarding the recently unveiled Lightning Concept to this forum. This will make finding information on the current Gen 2 Lightning much easier for our members.

Well they did it, they screwed up our truck!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 11:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Navi Man
Total engine output will be 500 horses.

I think what you read was an article on the engine for the concept truck you pasted the picture of. Although the real deal could be similar, concept vehicles are often times completely different than the production runs. It's highly unlikely that the 05 L will have close to 500 hp.
I'll take that bet. With the 500 HP SRT out there, I'd bet my last dollar that the '05L will have at least 501. And I would also bet that the a/c operated on-demand supercooler will make it into production. It's just so obvious it's a shame no one ever did it before.

50 more HP from a twin screw and 50 more HP from supercooling, and there would be just a little left to find elsewhere.

Old 01-08-2003, 11:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 01-08-2003, 11:07 PM
I think the truck would look fantastic if some of the excess bling (like the vents everywhere) were removed. The whole package just looks tighter and more integrated than the current L, which looks a little cobbled together.

But I don't understand why it's so boxy. I thought that unsuccessful era in automotive design died in the early 90's. The rest of the industry moves to organic design and Ford brings back the saltbox.

I suspect that the toned-down final design will not look as good as the current L.

And they damn well better not use the show car's chopped top--the main reason I bought the L is because it's one of the only race-capable cars I can fit in with a helmet on!

Old 01-08-2003, 11:08 PM
I like it, but I didn't want to see it until next year, its going to make me hesitate about spending gobs more of money on my gen2.

Daniel

Old 01-08-2003, 11:22 PM
I'll take that bet.

You're on! How about a case of our famous Widmer beer to your comparable local Ale?

Old 01-08-2003, 11:44 PM
Account Suspended For 30 Days For Using Multiple Screen Names
The story

One day this past year one of Fords Engineers was bored with his holidays, he picked up a Rubex Cube and designed our new trucks.

My opinion,

Well it is ok I guess on the exterior, a perfect 10 on the interior it looks like they offer them with Climate Contral and a optional navigation, the interior is almost the same as my 03 Navigator.

Pat/bluelightning

Old 01-09-2003, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Navi Man
I'll take that bet.

You're on! How about a case of our famous Widmer beer to your comparable local Ale?
You're on. A case of fine beer is far cheaper than my last dollar.

Old 01-09-2003, 02:54 AM
Banned
I love the new design!

Old 01-09-2003, 02:58 AM
What area you from Tim, and what kind of fine ale can I expect?

I hope you're right about the 500hp, but my gut feeling says otherwise. Anyway, a case of fine beer will do just fine. I wonder if UPS delivers beer, and if so how many will they drink before they deliver it? I guess we'll have to stick around for another year to see who's right.

Old 01-09-2003, 09:43 AM
I like the design concept... out of the box Ford has done what many owners do anyways... make it more racy looking with larger wheels, aggressive stance (it looks lowered to me), hood scoops... I think it would look bad-*** in black but the silver looks great as well (and if I had to do it again I would have bought silver instead of black). Hope they put enough hp in it to stay on top and blow away the Dodge SRT-10... oh, and I hope the price doesn't all of a sudden jump to 40 grand.

Old 01-09-2003, 10:45 AM
Re: The story

Originally posted by bluelightning
One day this past year one of Fords Engineers was bored with his holidays, he picked up a Rubex Cube and designed our new trucks.
Engineers don't have anything to do with Styling.

Old 01-09-2003, 10:58 AM
Lots of info there. But I have some serious doubts about half of them, and will not believe it till I see it. Also with some of the stuff they're mentioning the price looks like it will go up some.

Overall I think it can grow on me.

Old 01-09-2003, 04:41 PM
It "may" grow on me but Compound W removes warts. Like I said "FAT" truck. What happened to the smooth lines? But if you have to wait for it to "grow on you" then something is wrong with the styling. I liked my 93 and 01 when I first saw them. They didn't have to grow on me. I didn't wait to see what the rest of the "crowd" thought. Do you need to get a feel for overall acceptability? The new mustang I like now. It doesn't have to grow on me. Besides, the crowd won't help you make payments. Sorry to say, that's the end of the line if that is the next gen L. For all that think it's good you enjoy. It just doesn't meet my low standards. It looks like a cartoon or transformer as i read somewhere else. Someone at Ford went to the "Dork Skool of Deezine."

Last edited by DR.D; 01-09-2003 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-09-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by DR.D
It "may" grow on me but Compound W removes warts. Like I said "FAT" truck. What happened to the smooth lines? But if you have to wait for it to "grow on you" then something is wrong with the styling. I liked my 93 and 01 when I first saw them. They didn't have to grow on me. I didn't wait to see what the rest of the "crowd" thought. Do you need to get a feel for overall acceptability? The new mustang I like now. It doesn't have to grow on me. Besides, the crowd won't help you make payments. Sorry to say, that's the end of the line if that is the next gen L. For all that think it's good you enjoy. It just doesn't meet my low standards. It looks like a cartoon or transformer as i read somewhere else. Someone at Ford went to the "Dork Skool of Deezine."
Well said Dr D... Well said..

Old 01-09-2003, 05:48 PM
Well said Dr D... Well said..
Thanks. It's nice to get agreement once in a while. So sad that they are looking to ruin (in my opinion) a very attractive vehicle and shove a real frankenstein at us. My loyalty ends when that is what I get to choose from.

Quick Reply: Well they did it, they screwed up our truck!