King Ranch

What kind of work to you do with your King Ranch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by MikeF150; 01-05-2005 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-29-2002, 06:20 PM
Hey Mike,

I guess that's a good question. I can't really answer that since my trailer could handle the load and my truck did to and each trip to Lowes is a PIA. To get to the lumber, you've got to go through the gate, go inside and probably do other business as I had because I forgot screws, staples, tarp and other stuff. Then go back out and have guys load the trailer with a forklift, subtract what has been delivered and what hasn't and leave for home. Get home, position the trailer and unload. Loading the trailer with a foklift is a trick since I've got to remove one side of the trailer and shim the load with wooden pallets to clear the fender wells while loading, PIA.

Even at only 5 miles away, each trip kills about an hour beleive it or not. After doing that several times it gets old real fast.

You've got a point but I wanted to get the most out of each trip. Since now I know I underestimated my materials, I've got to go back and get another couple loads and I'll keep your point in mind when I do that.

BTW, what've you been hauling in your rig?

Thanks,

~DM~

Old 04-29-2002, 09:24 PM

Old 04-29-2002, 10:02 PM
Hey Mike,

I'm building a double sided fence too and it's called a shadow box and it doesn't take nearly as much wood as you mentioned. I'll post a link to a site of possible interest.

General site:
http://www.hooverfence.com/index.htm

Shadow Box fence drawing:
http://www.hooverfence.com/wood2.htm

Actually, I'm building the fence for three reasons.

1. To keep my son's toys from becoming every other kid's on the street.
2. To keep out dogs and cats that aren't ours, however we don't have any now.
3. To block the view of my shops from the street per a new ordanance just passed a couple of months back.

Bottom line, I've put off building a fence for two years but now the county is forcing me to do something, PIA.

I hate going down to the county planning office and begging and pleading my views on what should be allowed vs. what has passed approval from the DH local politicians.

End of Rant about county planning office.
Okay, I'm better now.

~DM~

Old 04-30-2002, 06:40 AM

Old 04-30-2002, 10:15 AM
I have a lot of bushes to plant at my new hose, so I have hauled, dirt, bushes, wood chips, some shingles and of course my golf clubs for those rare days I have time to do any golfing.

Old 04-30-2002, 09:59 PM
I'll tell ya, Dave, I kind of understand the ordinances put in place, but sometimes I think the those folks just have too much time on their hands sometimes and have to justify their jobs.

Fortunately, I live so far out in the boonies I shouldn't have to worry about that for a while.

Have fun with the fence project!

Old 04-30-2002, 10:24 PM
Mike,

Your welcomed. The first 8' wide panel I've built so far weight over 100lbs and so I've got to re-configure my assembly jig to work in a vertical fashion vs. horizontal. I would assume yours will be almost twice that much. Are you setting posts, connecting rails and attaching slats or assembling the entire section and moving to fence line? I'm using a pneumatic stapler to connect all the slats to the rails and standing up the sections as I assemble them. As for the posts, I'm not treating them with anything special as they are treated and I'm not going to live here forever. If I could find a cheap, fast and sure fire method to protect the posts from rot then I might consider doing something, otherwise I'm taking my chances. Good luck with your project and keep us informed. For the post hole digger, I've gotten several PHD certificates for successfully creating negative cylindrical protrusions! I hate to rent anything, I'll be picking up a gasoline powered post hole digger from either Lowes or Depot for around $300 with the 10" auger included.

Golfer71,

Did you put all your yard products directly into the bed of the truck or did you use a trailer? As for golfing, I've got a set of clubs and I can manage to hit the ball somewhere but rarely where it needs to go:o

Screwed,

I think you're probably right, or someone with some clout complains about something they don't like and the next thing you know, it's law. Arrrgh! As far as having fun with the project, I'll be keeping that in mind when I dig those 80 some holes I'll need for the posts. Oh Sheit!

Later Guys,
~DM~

Old 05-01-2002, 07:57 AM

Last edited by MikeF150; 01-05-2005 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-01-2002, 08:26 AM
sorry to hear about your job MikeF150.......if ya have time I have some electrical mods sitting in my garage waiting to happen too! hehehe j/k!

Old 05-01-2002, 09:56 AM
sorry about the job mike, i quit alcatel in december due to the fluctuations in the telecom market. btw, what is the word on who may be buying lucent and nortel as i see my stock in them is WAY down.

Old 05-01-2002, 11:02 AM

Last edited by MikeF150; 01-05-2005 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-01-2002, 11:31 AM
DAVEMAN,

I used the bed of the truck. I don't have a trailer. Yet........

That golf usually has a mind of its own. Sometimes I wonder why I golf.

Old 05-01-2002, 12:30 PM
yea, shouldn't be too hard to find a job where your at. i spent 5 1/2 months in secaucus and newark in 2000. man, i miss the sandwiches, pizza and the driving style out there!!!

Old 05-01-2002, 06:41 PM
Hey Mike,

I guess I should've started a fence project thread, hey?

Oh well, I like talking projects and if others aren't intersted then that kind of takes care of itself. I hope you don't lose your job unless that's what you want.

To answer your question, I'm using a Senco finish stapler. The staples have a 1/4" crown and they're 1-1/2" long and are galvenized as they are the cheapest and can be found at Lowes and Depot. The stainless steel staples are three to four times more expensive so they were out on my budget plus you've usually got to order them.

Building my fence panels up at each post location is just not pratical in my situation since I'd have to have a 200' long extension cord for my air compressor and I'd have to haul it all over hell and back. I'll just build the panels and move with hand truck to each location.

Golfer,

I guess you meant your ***** have a mind of their own, right? I'm like you except I always wonder why I play golf

Talk later,
~DM~

Quick Reply: What kind of work to you do with your King Ranch?