King Ranch

Regarding Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2002, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regarding Ebay

I too have been using Ebay for some years now....
As Rockpick noticed I recently bought a digital camera.

One of my other hobbies is quality mechanical wristwatches and I have bought and sold many on Ebay, some costing thousands of dollars.

Touch wood with something like 100 transactions I haven't had one bad deal, and in fact have met some very nice people.

I actually bought a watch that belonged to Phil Silvers which had been given to him by Frank Sinatra.
I had doubted the authenticity of the watch until it turned out that Phil's eldest daughter was selling it to benefit a charity.
I think I have told this story before so forgive me if I go over old ground....but the upshot was that we were invited to Hollywood to meet all the family (Phil died in 86) and attend the dedication of a star on the walk of fame.
We got to meet the cast of Seinfeld, Red Buttons, Valerie Harper (Rhoda) and best of all had dinner with Jon Voight after mentioning to Tracey Silvers that Midnight Cowboy was one of my alltime favorite films. (I didn't know that she was a film agent and was able to arrange that very easily)

Anyway all this is a long winded way of saying that if I had realised I was bidding against another forum member on those mudflaps I would not have done so...I didn't need them THAT much.
I am sure some more would come along sooner or later.

In future I suggest we post here if we are bidding to save driving up the prices unnecessarily.
What do you think?
You can tell my bidding name....same as here, but I think ome of you use other ones than those we recognise here.

I thoroughly recommend Ebay....be honest and truthful and it works fine!

Old 04-14-2002, 01:19 PM
Although I question the ethics of bidding against each other, do we also have a responsibility NOT to collude to keep bids low? From a seller's perspective, I would be annoyed by the fact that a group (however small) is organizing to keep the ultimate price low. It may result in fewer KR items being offered on ebay.
This forum is a community, and we are all friends here. The question that I discussed with my wife was that if a were bidding in a live auction and a buddy of mine was also interested in the same item, would we NOT bid as high as we thought the item was worth in deference to the other? The problem lies in the anonimity of an ebay auction.
I think that the etiquette here should be that we identify if we are bidding on a KR item on Ebay. I didn't do that until after the auction was over, and I felt like a sneak for doing so.
Ultimately, I personally thought that that the item in question was worth what I bid on it, after pricing them from the local dealer a few months ago. I wouldn't bid on something simply to try to take it from another (and no here has accused me as such).
Whatcha think?
BroncoDave aka bigalwy

Old 04-14-2002, 04:55 PM
I completely agree....
When I sell on Ebay I want the best price I can get.
On this occasion though I felt bad when I found out that I had been bidding against a fellow forum member.
I would rather you had got a bargain at the lower price before I upped the bidding !!

Old 04-14-2002, 11:36 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey guys, don't fret on the splash guards. www.oemfordparts.com has them for $30.38 for the front (same price for the rear). It's a great deal!

Old 04-14-2002, 11:40 PM
OK, if you feel that badly about it...I'll give you 20 bucks for 'em!
just kidding, just kidding,
BD

Old 04-14-2002, 11:43 PM
Rockpick I just saw your post, my local dealer gave me a price of (make sure you are sitting down)--52 bucks a set!!
Now I feel badly.......

Quick Reply: Regarding Ebay