King Ranch

rusty doors...!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2002, 08:38 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think Ford's corrosion warranty is basically null and void when it comes to salt and 'melting materials'. I'm not exactly sure how they would qualify it a road salt or a general corrision caused by inadequate treatment of the metal though. Might be worth giving the dealership a call.... heck, they'll want you 'bring it in' and 'they'll look at it' and give you an opinion. Then, immediately before they give you your keys back, they'll present you with a bill for 'looking at it'. The ever so evil dealership...

Old 03-19-2002, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by TroyK
well, from what i've been reading, ford truck doors seem to be rusting out faster than any other body panels. hopefully i won't ever have to invoke my corrosion warranty.
instead of worrying about your doors rusting out why don't you get proactive and prevent the problem in the first place although it is really too bad that ford does a less than adequate job here it is really worth your effort to fix it before it becomes a problem if you live in such an area where rust is a problem. i always found it rather sad that i would see hundai's in michigan with no rust on them where domestic cars of the same vintage were converibles from the bottom up due to salt corrosion. makes you wonder if ford and chevy design this into the body panels.

Old 03-19-2002, 12:58 PM
AAAH yes, the corrosion control system you shell out $500 for and you get these really cool blinking red lights under your hood. yeah that makes me feel better...like it is really gonna help prevent the rust...although they say they use them on the Navy ships.

Old 03-19-2002, 01:32 PM
Moderator &

Indeed, they use them on Navy ships... they also use them on Underground Storage Tanks (gasoline etc) for leak prevention. It charges the tank with positive ions and thus makes it more difficult for the metal to oxidize (rust).

Old 03-19-2002, 02:52 PM
being that i was in the navy for 8 1/2 years i can tell you that the only thing that slowed down rust was proper surface preparation and proper coating of the metal and even this could not prevent the metal from rusting.

Old 03-19-2002, 03:25 PM
ummmm....I like Rock's reply better.

Old 03-19-2002, 04:05 PM
Angry

Hey...I have an idea....

Move out of Michigan! Who wants to be where it is that cold and you have salt all over the damn road anyway??? Try ANYWHERE in the southwest...Texas, Arizona, New Mexico...damn...go to California if you want. You just spent $30,000+ for a vehicle that is getting jacked up because you have to drive it in salt! If you really want to protect it, tell the highway department to quit putting salt all over the damn road!!!

Old 03-19-2002, 06:02 PM
Moderator &

Skagel doesn't drive her truck if it's wet or salty or sunny or windy or potentially salty, potentially windy, potentially sunny or potentially wet...

From all I can tell, TOMAS sits in a garage and she goes out and takes pictures and puts them in her wallet.

It's a helluva conversation piece however, I think it only has 2.4 miles and, those are from the factory.

Old 03-19-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by pkagel

instead of worrying about your doors rusting out why don't you get proactive and prevent the problem in the first place although it is really too bad that ford does a less than adequate job here it is really worth your effort to fix it before it becomes a problem if you live in such an area where rust is a problem. i always found it rather sad that i would see hundai's in michigan with no rust on them where domestic cars of the same vintage were converibles from the bottom up due to salt corrosion. makes you wonder if ford and chevy design this into the body panels.
i'm not sure, but i think the doors on my sister's expedition are rusting from the inside out. tain't much i can do about that...

Old 03-19-2002, 08:16 PM
I'll have you know it is 4.6 miles!

man the truth hurts

Old 03-19-2002, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by TroyK

i'm not sure, but i think the doors on my sister's expedition are rusting from the inside out. tain't much i can do about that...
i already posted two different ways you can prevent this, either put boiled linseed oil in the doors to coat it (an old school way) or paint POR-15 inside the doors, either way you take care of the problem before it even starts and therefore you never have to worry about the headache.

Old 03-19-2002, 09:09 PM
I still think my method of rust prevention works best! oh, and best of all it is very simple!

Old 03-19-2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by pkagel

i already posted two different ways you can prevent this, either put boiled linseed oil in the doors to coat it (an old school way) or paint POR-15 inside the doors, either way you take care of the problem before it even starts and therefore you never have to worry about the headache.
better yet, how bout' i just get a new vehicle before the corrosion warranty is up!!!!!

Old 03-20-2002, 08:18 AM
now you're thinkin' troy!

Quick Reply: rusty doors...!