King Ranch

Balancing Beads Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Balancing Beads Update

Well, it's been just over a year since I put new aggressive tires on the KR and went with balancing beads instead of conventional balancing with lead weights. I am so impressed with the overall quality of the tire wear - for the first time ever the front tires are wearing evenly; even with multiple factory alignments I would get uneven wear on every set of tires I've put on the truck. This time I used the micro metal balancing beads / 6 oz. per tire / nitrogen filled - Like I said near perfect wear patterns and constant pressure. We've been towing our 22 ft. travel trailer whenever the weather allows (and financing) and very impressed.
I highly recommend giving these (micro metal) balancing beads + nitrogen fill a try; having the tires consistently in balance / pressure as made me one happy puppy.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:33 PM
Had never heard of them, always something new(ish). Intriguing. Will have to do some researching as I have a bunch of questions. Don't know if you have any answers for some of them but I might as well ask a few of them

Did you DIY kit or get it done at a shop ?

Do you think the nitrogen is required or just nice for keeping steady pressure ? Always wondered how well nitrogen would work here where the temp swings from summer highs near 100F to winter lows around -40F and how well the pressure would keep when storing winter or summer sets with changing the tires. Never researched it, no nitrogen options near to tempt me.

Does adjusting the tire pressure screw up the beads ? I see something about a special tire valve included (required ?) for the beads. Kind of wondering about that too. Is it to keep the beads from jamming the valve ? Thing is the tire pressure changes radically through the seasons here, so if that screws up the beads in some way that they won't work well in variable climates it seems like a non-starter.

What I see on a quick look they work in larger tires and are not recommended for lower aspect ratios (65 and below). What size tires are you running them in ?

I'm still skeptical about the claims but keeping an open mind from your personal experience. Thanks for posting, should be some interesting researching at least.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am glad to hear that you have had good luck with them, my brother tried them on his Silverado when they first hit the market and it was a disaster.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:06 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 01-07-2015, 10:33 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
This concept is not unlike the old balancing ring device that you used to be able to buy from J C Whitney (and other places I suppose). For those of you too young to know with I'm talking about, they were circular tubes filled with ball bearings? that you'd mount on the rims next to the tires.

The story was that the weights in the tubes would distribute dynamically to counteract any off-balance tire/wheel combo. I never tried them, but I suppose they might have worked.

Having the beads inside the tires makes more sense, since they can distribute along the full width of the tire so that it is not just statically balanced. At least it seems that way to me.

- Jack

Old 01-08-2015, 10:48 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Lots of motorcycle riders use beads to balance their tires. Shops charge a lot of money to mount a motorcycle tire so thrifty riders change them out themselves and use things like beads to save as much or more than $200 on the installation of two tires.

Nitrogen will expand and contract just like air, so there is no advantage as far as pressure changes when it gets colder or warmer. The pressure change will be the same. Since air is about 78% nitrogen and unless the tire has a vacuum pulled on it before inflating with nitrogen which is most likely impossible, there will still be some air left in the tire. Nitrogen from a bottle may contain less moisture. My smelly opinion is that the use of nitrogen is hype and a waste of money. I know Nascar uses nitrogen. They get dry gas that way that won't support combustion when the tire blows. Not having the moisture may help them since they adjust the tire pressure in 1/4 psi increments. Many years ago a member of Richard Petty's team was killed when an air compressor tank exploded. Additionally, when tires are mounted they use a mixture of water and soap to lubricate the tire so it goes on the rim easily and by doing so they put a little moisture in the tire. Don't waste your money on nitrogen.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by far-trader
Had never heard of them, always something new(ish). Intriguing. Will have to do some researching as I have a bunch of questions. Don't know if you have any answers for some of them but I might as well ask a few of them

Did you DIY kit or get it done at a shop ?

Do you think the nitrogen is required or just nice for keeping steady pressure ? Always wondered how well nitrogen would work here where the temp swings from summer highs near 100F to winter lows around -40F and how well the pressure would keep when storing winter or summer sets with changing the tires. Never researched it, no nitrogen options near to tempt me.

Does adjusting the tire pressure screw up the beads ? I see something about a special tire valve included (required ?) for the beads. Kind of wondering about that too. Is it to keep the beads from jamming the valve ? Thing is the tire pressure changes radically through the seasons here, so if that screws up the beads in some way that they won't work well in variable climates it seems like a non-starter.

What I see on a quick look they work in larger tires and are not recommended for lower aspect ratios (65 and below). What size tires are you running them in ?

I'm still skeptical about the claims but keeping an open mind from your personal experience. Thanks for posting, should be some interesting researching at least.
1. Had them added at the shop when mounting the new tires (ordered them off of Ebay after a lot of investigation). No extra cost as I had 4 bags of 6 oz. each made up and the tire shop was very aware of their use.

2. Tire pressure has no adverse action on the balancing beads.

3. Tire size: 265/70/17 aggressive 10 ply.

4. The other day I had the same shop that installed the tires over a year ago check out the wear patterns on all four tires; they said they did not look like they had been on my truck for over a year.

For me they have been the best investment to help prolong the tread wear / life on those very expensive tires!

Old 04-12-2016, 01:38 PM
Talking

I have been running beads in my tires for about 3 years.... Love, love, love them!!! For a less expensive route, go to Wally World and pick up a jar of Airsoft BB ammo in the .25 gram size. These work just as well as the ceramic or metal beads. I add 6oz to large tires (285/65/17 M/S aggressive tread) and 4oz to my wife and kids tires. I have the tire shop mount and balance the tires WITHOUT the beads first, then crack one bead on the rim and pour in the Airsoft beads. Fill 'em up and go!

NO steering wheel wobble ever, ALWAYS in balance after every single stop, less tire wear, less front end parts wear, better braking, and the BEST PART is that after offroading with any mud or snow in your rim, the wheel is STILL in balance!!!

Old 04-12-2016, 02:48 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I buy my tires from Sam's Club and they rotate and balance them for no extra charge every 10k miles. Never have any vibration or weird tire wear running Michelins bought from Sams.

Quick Reply: Balancing Beads Update