King Ranch

Can I over condition my Castano seats?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 10:55 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I over condition my Castano seats?

I have conditioned my seats about nine times in the past 14 months since I purchased it. Every three months, the entire truck. About every month during the hot times in Texas. The other day, I did the high risk areas two days in a row. The high use areas tend to have a slight cracking, no so much at a first glance, ya really have to look close. After my last conditioning, The seats look like the day I bought them. Can I over condition?

Please help

OCDer in Texas...

Old 10-29-2008, 11:27 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Good to be back to leather!

Do you park your truck in the sun, Shine? The reason I asked, is that my 05 seats look reasonably new (in my opinion, with no cracking) and I probably don't condition them more than 3 times a year.

My truck is parked in my garage though, and it's not really driven too much, so maybe that accounts for it.

I suspect you can't really "overcondition" seats though. My guess is, if you did, you'd just see a grungy film of conditioner on top of the leather or something that would get all over your clothes. Any conditioner I've tried just seems to soak right in (KR conditioner and Leather CPR).

Probably, you need an expert like Lenny's opinion though.

- Jack

Old 10-30-2008, 02:47 AM
Aw...Shucks !
(Flattery will get you everywhere !)

The one thing I have learned from these leather discussions over the years is that what works for one person doesn't work for another.

The variables are so great.

The conditioner favored by the person applying it.
The method of application.
The temperatures generally experienced.
The use to which the truck is put.
The place it is generally stored.

My experience when I was in deep south Texas was that even though my first F150 was never kept in a garage, and in fact was stored outside in Houston right through each summer without even being opened up for months on end......the leather never looked anything less than perfect with just maybe 3 conditionings a year.
Thus I couldn't say from that experience that continuous conditioning was necessary.

However..I think there is another variable.

I don't think all castano turns out the same.

I don't know if this has ever been admitted before, but I certainly notice that on my own Expedition with its 3 rows of seats that there is a difference in quality of the finish from one place to another.
Some places, especially round the edges of the seats feel distinctly 'rough'.
That must affect the conditioning.

The front seats on my Expy do not look as good as the rears...especially since 2 years ago we left the truck in the garage for the summer when it was particularly humid.
Not only did mold affect the whole house but the front seats of the Expy were spotted with mold....and I have never been able to remove it. It has faded somewhat and most people wouldn't notice, but I know it's there.
Also as I have admitted before, when In Tx I drove most of the time in shorts and the area under my thighs has become way more darker than the rest, due to the moisture (Should I say sweat) from my legs. I have not been able to lighten that up to match the rest. I have had a swatch of leather sent over from the states and one day I may get some dye made up to match but at the moment I will learn to live with it.

So summing up....this 'expert' would have to say that I don't think conditioning should be necessary more than 2/3 times a year.....but so much depends on all the variables mentioned above.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:33 AM
Suspended
My truck is ALWAYS outside. My wife has an 03 Expy, and we only have a two car garage. My KR is an 07, but my motorcycle and weight bench reside where my KR should...Inside. It does sit three days a week covered at the airport.

I don't use that much KR conditioner when I give the love to my seats. I use my hand (don't want a rag soaking it up) to apply the conditioner. And only apply a few drops. My seats still look brand new, except for the spiderweb cracking in the leather. Even then, you can barely see them. I leave the valley in South Texas today, and when I get home, I will take some pics and see what yall think. Thanks

Quick Reply: Can I over condition my Castano seats?