King Ranch

Performance question.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 11:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Trailblazer SS has the 6.0L Corvette engine. The towing is phenomenal on it, and I am very comfortable in it. The AWD has gotten me through the same messes that the kr did... only difference was the AWD in the Trailblazer SS did it effortlessly.
I have rode in a few different 5.4 3V trucks, some with tunes, some stock and was not impressed with any of them. I had a 99 Expedition with the 5.4 2V and that was a respectable performer. It even out towed the kr... I hauled my Lightning in an enclosed trailer with it all the way from Ohio to Bristol, TN without issue. However, I towed the Lightning on a lighter, open trailer and the kr really struggled. That alone made me sell it. Quality was terrible, the sunroof always leaked, and the kr seat/steering wheel material did not stand up to everyday driving. I put 15,000 miles on that truck, and none of it was worth while.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:58 PM
TNC
Well duh, you aren't a truck guy. Congrats on the blazer.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:41 AM
I installed an Air Force 1 Intake, JBA Ceramic Coated Headers, and the Magnaflow SS SI/DO Exhaust on my 2006 KR Screw and Dyno'd 231 RWHP. Looking for more I went with the XCAL SCT and there was a very noticeable increase in HP and performance.

After two tanks of gas I re-flashed back to stock because I was too lead footed and my mpg went down to 13 and I really did not like the very agressive shifting, it was like it was slamming in to 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:06 AM
TNC
Originally Posted by rogerf
I installed an Air Force 1 Intake, JBA Ceramic Coated Headers, and the Magnaflow SS SI/DO Exhaust on my 2006 KR Screw and Dyno'd 231 RWHP. Looking for more I went with the XCAL SCT and there was a very noticeable increase in HP and performance.

After two tanks of gas I re-flashed back to stock because I was too lead footed and my mpg went down to 13 and I really did not like the very agressive shifting, it was like it was slamming in to 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.
Sounds like the tuning wasn't very optimal. I've been running mine on an 87 perf. and the shifting is WAYYYY improved. Ran the 91 for awhile but I didn't think I saw enough of a perf. gain for the cost. You should be able to correct the harsh shifting. Now, the problem with your right foot, well.... you did buy the truck to drive it

Old 08-18-2007, 10:12 AM
Mine is an '06. I tow lots of stuff like camping trailers, utility trailers and three different boats ranging from very light to over 6500 lbs. On the suggestion of various members of this board, I ordered a Troyer Performance Xcalibrator and had settings placed for both 87 and 93 octane towing. I have been very happy with this. There is a very clear difference in the performance of the truck. You might want to consider this for your needs as well. These trucks do have a beautiful plumage but they need a little kick in the butt to be really effective towers. The Troyer unit made it possible to "have your cake and eat it too!"
Best of luck. For Heaven's sake, please try this before trading your truck for a Trailblazer!

Old 08-18-2007, 10:15 AM
TNC
Originally Posted by grady95
Mine is an '06. I tow lots of stuff like camping trailers, utility trailers and three different boats ranging from very light to over 6500 lbs. On the suggestion of various members of this board, I ordered a Troyer Performance Xcalibrator and had settings placed for both 87 and 93 octane towing. I have been very happy with this. There is a very clear difference in the performance of the truck. You might want to consider this for your needs as well. These trucks do have a beautiful plumage but they need a little kick in the butt to be really effective towers. The Troyer unit made it possible to "have your cake and eat it too!"
Best of luck. For Heaven's sake, please try this before trading your truck for a Trailblazer!
Oh ho ho ho... well said my friend, well said. I still can't get over what a diff. tuning makes. You'd think Ford would figure this out and offer it as an option, they could make some $$ .... or even better, maybe they should fix the sloppy a@@ programming ( not like Microsoft ever does either)

Quick Reply: Performance question.....