King Ranch

Can I Do It Myself? Add a Lift

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I install an exhaust myself?

Now that I got the fans in, I've been thinking and dreaming of where to go next. The logical move would be to get the exhaust taken care of but, man there is so much I wanna do. Add a gauge pod to the pillar and sterring wheel and put in some better gauges, especially because I'm towing more than I thought I would be.

I've decided I want to lift the truck, maybe 4 in front and two in back. Nothing extreme and nothing above a 4 inch lift. Maybe even paint the wheels to match the truck (saw someone do it here and it looked interesting, wonder what it would look like on the factory 20" wheels).

I've even gone so far as to look into body kits and such. Yes it's a KR but I want mine with more attitude and style. Any thoughts? Any whatsoever?

In the end I'm going with exhaust with the next mod. By the way, can I do it myself or will it end up ghetto?

Last edited by greenusmarine53; 06-16-2007 at 04:48 AM.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:31 AM
Sorry, the title in the forum is a little misleading. I was tired and I meant to say exhaust not lift.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:49 AM
Red face

Absolutely you can install an exhaust system yourself, especially if it's a cat-back system. Normally with the systems available, everything is included, and the hardest, and most time consuming part, is removing the old exhaust first. Believe me, if I can install the Gibson system on my KR, you should be able to. I've been on disability for 12 years now, it took me longer than it would most people, but, I'm also a stubborn ol' cuss! Of course, if you want your system welded together, (although not necessary in most cases), you might need assistance with that...unless you have a fabulous shop set up of your own??? Good luck, you will see a difference.

Old 06-17-2007, 01:16 PM
Thank you Doodles, I appreciate the reply. I found an article in a magazine that showed a JBA header install. It seemed as if it would be easier than I thought. Just need a few tools and of course the parts but I think I'm gonna take it myself.

BUT...if I do install it myself, would a shop have any problems doing any welding after it's in?

Old 06-18-2007, 09:07 AM
That may take some searching...some shops have so many "liability issues" that they won't touch work in progress. Do some research, by phone or foot, to find one that will work with you. Of course, it's always nice to have friends that will help out too. Headers and exhaust used to be a piece of cake, with all the room available in the engine compartment, prior to all the emissions BS. Take your time, and double check, to make sure everything's hooked back up. It's easy to snap off a spark plug when trying to squeeze a header into place!

Quick Reply: Can I Do It Myself? Add a Lift