King Ranch

KR Gas Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 04:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question KR Gas Mileage?

Hi everyone. I have a question and I'm sure it has been asked here and in other places, but I wanted to get the information directly from KR owners.

I have a 2006 KR I purchased in Sep 06. The clock on it is right at 1,900 miles (not a typo). Anyway, I have been through several tanks and normally use the mid-grade option. Now understand that I am in Germany and their mid-grade is right at 89-90 octane. The regular unlead grade is somewhere near 86-87 octane, depending if you buy on the economy or on base.

I do have the 4X4 and it has the 2.5" level kit on the front. I have clocked the mileage and I seem to be getting about 12 mpg in town and maybe 16 mpg on the highway. I normally will set the cruise at about 70-75 mph on the autobahn........I really can't stand it when the European cars fly by, but on the other hand, I can run them over.

So, based on what I am getting, it this about normal? Now, I don't mind paying for the gas, (paying about $2.23/gal right now, but it was up to $3.56 a few months ago) but want to make sure all is well, especially with the low miles. I do have a Ford dealer that will honor the US warranty.

On a side note, does anyone use the HyperTech Power Programmer III? Any help in mileage or is it all on the performace side?

Thanks for any help (as always) and here is two beers for ya!

Old 02-18-2007, 08:18 AM
My 05 King Ranch with 7K miles gets 12-16 mpg as well.
That is considerably less than the 15-19 mpg that I am getting on my 98
F150 4X4. But the 98 had has a 4.6L (100HP less) vs 5.4L on the King Ranch.

Old 02-19-2007, 12:40 PM
Very normal. Where in Germany?

Old 02-19-2007, 09:08 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm in the 12 to 15 range this time of year with 'winter' blended gasoline. During the summer, it's not uncommon for me to push up around 18 or 19 to even greater than 20 (highway).

From a 'tuner' standpoint, definitely check out www.troyerperformance.com

Old 02-25-2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the replies......and BTW, I am in Worms, Germany, which is near Mannheim. I am so ready to get back to the States....

Old 02-26-2007, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by ibcop
Thanks for the replies......and BTW, I am in Worms, Germany, which is near Mannheim. I am so ready to get back to the States....
Cheers! Over the years I have spent LOTS of time in K-town and, to a lesser degree, Stuttgart. I overnight in Frankfurt a dozen or so times per year also. Or at least I used to, haven't been travelling quite so much in recent months.

I'm always glad to get back over there and then I'm always glad to get back home. I guess that's life...

Old 02-27-2007, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by ibcop
Now understand that I am in Germany and their mid-grade is right at 89-90 octane. The regular unlead grade is somewhere near 86-87 octane, depending if you buy on the economy or on base.
I thought the 5.4 was designed to use 87 octane. Using a higher octane fuel won't do anything except empty your wallet a bit quicker.

Granted, I don't have an F150 (now), but your engine is the same as the one in my daughter '04 FX4, and according to her owners manual, 87 is the recommended octane (Also the same requirement as my previous '00 F150 Lariat).

Trending Topics

Old 02-27-2007, 04:40 PM
I have a 2007 F150 King Ranch 4wd and just turned over 1,000 miles. Today I did a 500 mile round trip to Baltimore and back (from Virginia Beach). Averaged 17 mpg up there and about 18.5 mpg on the way back (that is the computer on the dash). I averaged about 75-80 mph on the interstate in both directions with a little traffic thrown in here and there. I've been using 89 Octane (low grade in my area).

I consider that pretty good gas mileage for a crew cab 4wd truck with a 5,512 lb curb weight.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:33 PM
Suspended
MPG seems right on.

As for your grade fuel, as suggested above you should and NEED to be running 87 octane. You will actually have negative consequences from running a higher octane fuel than the computer is set to use.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by larryp
I thought the 5.4 was designed to use 87 octane. Using a higher octane fuel won't do anything except empty your wallet a bit quicker.

Granted, I don't have an F150 (now), but your engine is the same as the one in my daughter '04 FX4, and according to her owners manual, 87 is the recommended octane (Also the same requirement as my previous '00 F150 Lariat).
Originally Posted by Lumadar

As for your grade fuel, as suggested above you should and NEED to be running 87 octane. You will actually have negative consequences from running a higher octane fuel than the computer is set to use.
Don't forget that certain political pressures and also sales considerations (on the selling side, you do want to make ownership look as cheap as possible, don't you?) that go into all of this. I manually calculate my mileage (and check my oil) every single time that I gas up. I can say without a shadow of doubt that higher octain improves the mileage of my 5.4l here in my state and in my driving conditions. Does the increased mileage result in a net savings, considering the additional cost of the octane? Haven't tried to calculate that, since the price of all grades varies so much from fill up to fill up. I honestly doubt it, but it's probably largely offsetting. At the end of the day, I reject most cookie cutter recommendations that supposedly address all possible variables and chart my own course. Taking into consideration mileage and perceived performance, as well as altitude and how that affects how certain octanes are marketed, I choose to exceed the recommended one-size-fits-all 87 octane.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:56 PM
Okay, I am seeing lots-o-variations here. I still haven't gotten to the 17-18mpg level yet. Maybe it's me (wait...I'm sure of it) because I normally drive at 80mph (about 140kph) on the autobahn. The autobahn does have speed limits of normally 130kph (about 72mph). Only when you go outside of a city limit does the speed limit disappear. I've had people pass me so fast it actually shook the truck! Anyway, the octane level here is somewhat different in the states. The gas prices changed today - we pay $2.54 for reg unleaded. Add a dime a gallon for the mid grade. AAFES has to make their money at our expense. I still don't understand the concept where AAFES claims they pay federal taxes on the fuel they purchase - from the German Esso station! But anyway, I will be headed back to the States in June.

Thanks again for the input. BTW, I did get a PP III, but will install the tuning later today.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:22 PM
MY 2006 KR Supercrew MPG

According to my computer as of lunch today, I'm averaging 15.6MPG.

I've got a 2006 2WD Supercrew with the 5.4L V8 and 16,123 miles.

I've never reset the computer- and my driving is about 30% highway and 70% city/35-45MPH city driving, not the stop-and-go type city driving.

I have a buddy who has the same truck as mine, just in the 4WD version- we drive about the same type mix (highway/city) and he's getting 13.2MPG.

That 4WD is a pretty stiff penalty considering that's a difference of about 65 miles I can drive further over a full tank of gas vs. his 4WD, but if you need 4WD you need 4WD!

Old 03-09-2007, 02:34 PM
I have been watching the gas mileage over this week. If I keep my foot out of it and drive between 65-70, I do get close to 18mpg. Granted, this is my first 4X4......I didn't realize the 4X4's eat more gas, but oh well.......and BTW....the gas was raised to $2.67 a gallon today......AAFES has you by the short hairs, but on the same token, the Germans pay almost $6.00 a gallon!!!!

Old 03-10-2007, 07:45 AM
Question: do you reset your MPG on the computer with each fill up or just let it continue?

Here is a snap-shot of my MPG. Most of it is city driving with the exception of 11 Feb when I ran through a tank in one day, mainly hwy.

The vehicle has 1,700 miles on it right now. Not even broke in really.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Okay, I don't feel so bad now. I guess I am in the ballpark as everyone else. Appreciate the info. BTW, how did you get the graph of your gas mileage?

Quick Reply: KR Gas Mileage?