King Ranch

Rattle in the dash?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by supachargd2k5
Well i have the same problem but mine is form the the rear seats. I thought it was maybe the rear sliding window. Sounds like between the back seat and the the back windows
I have the same rattle as you in the back seat area. After looking into it I'm pretty confident it is caused by the seat belt buckles rattling against the plastic pillars(?). I think some Castano leather would make good use as a rattle guard between the buckle and the plastic...

Old 04-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Are there rattles all the time or only when you hit a certain speed? I just picked up a 05' xlt and it starts to rattle in the dash by the passanger side right by the windshield.....it does not start till I hit 60 and gets much worse around 70......anyone have an idea???

Old 04-19-2007, 09:18 AM
Noise from that area seems to be a common theme. I too have a noise that I still haven't been able to get rid of. From my previous post:

"I have the worlds most irratating squeak coming from my passenger side dash area. Imagine fingernails on a chalk board, but in very short duration bursts - sometimes 3 or 4 times a second. It seems to be coming from inside the dash, behind the airbag."

I am actually working on this today, but I haven't been able to get the airbag cover panel off yet. Any advice would be appreciated. (Yes, the battery is disconnected. ) This noise is constant, and will soon drive me to drinking if I can't find it.

Overall, my Screw has been, well, a rattletrap. I have determined the source of some of the rattles:

The front passenger seatbelt rattles against the pillar as someone mentioned previously - turning it so that the buckle lays against the seat with the tab facing 'out' takes care of it. (Or just fasten the seat belt.)

The adjustable rear seatbelts make no noise since I moved them all the way up to the top.

The rear headrests were making noise until I stuffed some foam behind them to 'jam' them against the rear window. I think the front passenger headrest is a source as well, but I haven't figured out a solution for it. The headrest posts just don't fit very tight in the seatback.

I have lined my center console with thin black headliner material so that items inside it don't bounce and rattle on the hard plastic. I also lined my front door panel storage areas with that rubbery checkerboard pattern shelf liner. (The same stuff you put in the bottom of your tool drawer.) They had a tan color version of it that very closely matches the KR tan interior.

Last, I took everything out of the storage areas behind the back seat and wrapped them all in old beach/bath towels and stuffed any open area with the same. (Emerg. tool kit, hitch, jumper cables, jack, etc.)

Squeaks and rattles just drive me up the wall.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:13 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just a quick FYI to pay ommage to the late and great 2001-2003 F-150...

The color wasn't called 'Dark Copper' in 2003.... it was called Chestnut Brown.

Sorry...

Old 04-19-2007, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Just a quick FYI to pay ommage to the late and great 2001-2003 F-150...

The color wasn't called 'Dark Copper' in 2003.... it was called Chestnut Brown.

Sorry...
NOW YOU LISTEN HERE...
you are correct :o

I was going by what color the dealer called my touch-up paint that I bought last week. (Code B4) Just shows how much the dealer knows!

Sig changed...

Old 07-27-2007, 03:18 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Has anyone found a resolution for this rattle?

I think I've got it too.

Right passenger, front dash, glove box, airbag area.

Thanks.

Dave.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:25 AM
OLD post recall! I have that same rattle. Sounds like its coming from the passenger A pillar or dash.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:22 PM
Stick a piece of paper or something between where the A-pillar meets the dash. I bet that fixes it. I took both mine off and wrapped electrical tape around the tabs that the pillar sits in on the dash, no more rattle.

Quick Reply: Rattle in the dash?