King Ranch

Bond - Lenny Bond

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bond - Lenny Bond

James Bond's Aston Martin for sale

Cars made for James Bond, Al Capone and Hank Williams, Jr. to be sold at auction.

November 14, 2005; Posted: 1:18 p.m. EST (1818 GMT)

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - James Bond's car -- really, the James Bond car --will be going up for auction in January. Cars custom-built for Al Capone and Hank Williams, Jr. will also be for sale at the same event.

The 1964 Aston Martin DB5 driven by the character James Bond in the movies Goldfinger and Thunderball will be sold to the highest biddder at RM Auctions' Vintage Motor Cars in Arizona to be held in Scottsdale, Ariz., on Jan. 20, 2006.

The car is one of four created for the films and for promotional use. The car has a variety of optional equipment for both offensive and defensive purposes. This includes a pair of .30 caliber Browning machine guns that deploy from behind the headights (these are non-firing props), and a wheel-mounted tire slasher. An oil-slick ejector squirts out from the left-rear light cluster and a smoke-screen system is located next to the car's exhaust.

The license plate revolves to display any of three different plates and the car still has its hydraulic ramming bumpers. In the interest of safety, the ejector seat has been replaced with a standard, non-ejecting passenger seat. RM Auctions would not comment on the car's estimated value.

A 1928 Cadillac built for the Chicago gangster Al Capone includes some similar features. It, too, has a smoke screen device and it's bullet-proof, with steel-plating reinforcing the car body and with windows more than an inch thick. The back window folds down to facilitate the use of firearms. The car is painted in the same color scheme as Chicago police cars of the time and it's equipped with a siren and flashing police lights.

The car was seized by the U.S. Treasury Department and is said to have been used by President Franklin Roosevelt for a short time. It's value is estimated at $250,000 to $500,000.

Hank Williams Jr.'s 1964 Pontiac Bonneville used guns in a different sort of way. The car is decorated with 18 pistols -- 12 large ones and six small ones -- as well as 547 silver dollars, 12 silver horseshoes and 17 sterling silver horse heads. Inside, the center console is fitted with a saddle. The car's estimated value is $100,000 to $200,000.

-----

I'd have to reconsider road rage as a potential form of weekend recreation with that baby...

Old 11-15-2005, 05:00 AM
HHmmmm.....

I thought everyone over there regarded me as more....well.... Austin Powers !

Anyway in 2 days it will be a question of "over here" again.
Over the last 25 years I've spent so much on transAtlantic air fares I could have bought my own GulfStream by now !

Hey Ho !!

Old 11-15-2005, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by Lenticular
HHmmmm.....

I thought everyone over there regarded me as more....well.... Austin Powers !

Anyway in 2 days it will be a question of "over here" again.
Over the last 25 years I've spent so much on transAtlantic air fares I could have bought my own GulfStream by now !

Hey Ho !!
Well I just know how much you love AMs, so I thought of you as soon as I saw the article. When ya going over? I just showed up in Athens from Asia (can't sleep - it's 4:00 a.m and I have meetings in a few hours), but will be back in the States by this weekend for a holiday home with the family...

Old 11-16-2005, 02:15 AM
I'll be back in Tx Friday pm.

(If US Airways and Continental do their job !!)

Do you ever come through the UK ?

Safe travels anyway !

Old 11-16-2005, 03:44 AM
Oh yes, quite often over the years but not so much in the past few. I love to overnight in London, one of my favorite world cities. I recently overnighted there on a trip home from Spain, but it was late, raining, cool, and I was exhausted, so I stayed out by Heathrow and didn't venture downtown. That's rare for me, though - I love that town.

I used to catch rides with the RAF out of Brize. I would fly into London, take the Heathrow express to Paddington, and take a train to Oxford, where I would spend the night before my RAF flight. On the way back to the States, I would take the train back down stay over in London.

I can't think of the name. I used to stay in a great little B&B in Oxford. That Branson chap and his family stayed there once when I was a guest. He made quite a stir.

I also once spent a few months up in Fylingdales. Broke away one long weekend for a fishing trip throughout the lake district. Great time.

Old 11-16-2005, 05:45 AM
OK !

If we are ever in the UK when you come through you will have to let us know.

We are quite close to the Welsh Border, within a short 20 minute car journey from Ironbridge, the home of the Industrial revolution.
Beautiful countryside but equally fascinating industrial heritage as well.

http://www.virtual-shropshire.co.uk/ironbridge-tour/

http://www.virtual-shropshire.co.uk/...-gorge-museum/

Be glad to show you round...and any other KR regulars if ever you happen by this way.

Off to pack now...have to put fancy clothes in this time...Much against my better judgement I've been cajoled into a cruise over Christmas...at least it's to the Panama canal, which I've always wanted to see.

Apart from that I'll probably spend most of my time examining the inside of the funnel and other such fascinating places....I certainly won't be sitting on the sun deck !!

Quick Reply: Bond - Lenny Bond