King Ranch

About to take the KR Plunge!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to take the KR Plunge!

Well, I started the KR plunge today and contacted a friend of mine who is a Ford dealer. I’ve had my Chevy S-10 ZR2 4x4 pickup for almost 5 years and it time for something bigger. It has been a good little truck but the new F-150 will be a nice step up.

I qualify for the X-Plan as a veteran and DAV member. They are also taking good care of me on the S-10 trade in. My only question for the group is which options to get? Here is what I’ve decided so far:
4x4
Power rear sliding window—I like to smoke a cigar from time to time but I don’t think I would like the power moonroof
Audiophile system with 6 disc mp3 player
White exterior
Trailer tow package

What is the difference in the tires offered for the KR? Are the LT275/65Rx18C OWL All-Terrain (4) - (Goodyear) (Spare Tire - OWL All-Terrain) really any better than the BF Goodrich tires?

This site has been great! Thanks to everyone who has posted the pictures of their KRs. I have spent a lot of time looking over this site and it was a tremendous help in deciding on the F-150.

Tom

Old 01-27-2005, 10:21 AM
Tom -

Welcome to the KR family. I have no doubt you'll be thoroughly pleased with your KR. I know everyone here is.

To answer your question - I think options is a matter of personal preference. I wouldn't want to pay for something I have no use for. For example, I have a 2002 KR Supercab 4x4. I don't have the towing package but I don't tow anything. I do have 4-wheel drive even though I hardly ever use it. I like the idea of having it available when I need it and I like the truck sitting a little higher without having to lift a 2-wheel drive. I've looked at the 2005 KRs and I wouldn't want to pay in the neighborhood of $1900 for the navigation system. Ive been navigating this country for many years without one and I sure don't need one now. I wouldn't pay $1500 for a rear seat DVD player but I don't have young children that I need to keep occuppied on the way to grandma's house.

So I guess it all boils down to what you want (whether you need it or not) and how much you're willing to pay for it. Some people get every bell and whistle they offer because they're looking at re-sale value. There's nothing wrong with that as long as you're willing to pay for it up front hoping you'll get it back later.

My advice: If you're going to buy a truck as nice as the King Ranch, get what you want right up front and that way you won't be sitting around later wishing you'd gotten an option you didn't think you wanted or needed.

Good luck with your decisions and post some pictures when you can. We always enjoy drooling over other people's KRs.

Al -

Old 01-27-2005, 12:01 PM
Suggest you browse tirerack.com. If you look at both tires that are offered on the 2005 KR, the Goodyear ranks somewhat higher than that of the BF Goodrich according to the survey results. This is the criteria I used to choose which tires I got on my 05 KR....the Goodyears. I've used these surveys in the past to judge which tires to choose and I've not been disappointed.
V

Old 01-27-2005, 12:49 PM
Aftermarket accessories are a much better deal than what FORD offers. With this in mind, you may want to consider getting the base electronics (audio) and upgrade to an in-dash NAV system with DVD screen, etc. with speakers that match the head unit's spec's.

Good luck and post pic's once your a KR owner.

Old 01-31-2005, 03:08 PM
I'm all in!

It is a done deal now! I just ordered my '05 KR. After another quick test drive this morning I decided the new F150 is an outstanding truck. The Lariat package of the test truck was very nice and I almost changed my order to that package. The salesman mentioned the standard leather resists scratches better. However, the pics in the brochure of the KR were just too hard to resist. I also kept thinking about all the KR owners here on this site and how much everyone enjoys the KR amenities. Also, with a X Plan price it makes the options easier to justify.

Thanks again for all the help and I look forward to being active in the F150online.com KR community!

Tom Muenster

Quick Reply: About to take the KR Plunge!