King Ranch

Add on consoles for front seat

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add on consoles for front seat

I know that some people have replaced the entire console, but I would like a console that fits well so that I can mount a Delphi SkyFi in a "wireless integrated looking" install. I've looked into custom mounts etc but with the limited dash space I can't see where it would properly mount w/o blocking something, I use the in dash cupholder and ash tray as well as the front aux jack to charge the cell.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

RP the front add on in your truck is the hidden sub yes? That would be perfect except I don't need a sub as I'm keeping the stock head-cd changer and using an FM modulator.

TIA

Poohbear...

Old 11-02-2003, 06:43 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Add on consoles for front seat

Originally posted by poohbear
RP the front add on in your truck is the hidden sub yes? That would be perfect except I don't need a sub as I'm keeping the stock head-cd changer and using an FM modulator.
Pooh,

Yep, that's a sub... it can be utilized with a stock HU as well. I know they don't make them anymore thus, you'd have to find one either in the classifieds or online but, if you think it'll solve your woes, maybe it's the item for you.

I'm not sure how you're considering mounting the Delphi setup but, I'm 99.99% sure that the sub could work with your system.

RP

Old 11-02-2003, 07:27 PM
RP,

Do you have MFGR or part number so I can search?

I was going to figure a way to mount it where your remote was sitting in the pic, or make a custom bracket. The real problem is the limited mounting space on the dash

I also was thinking about a stock 6 disc in-dash HU as well (quite a few on Ebay for not too much (then the tuner and RF mod can go where the existing changer is in the center console).

I would like to get an aftermarket like you or Joe but after the recent computer purchases:

Don't think Mama will let me get away with it (although the PC would fit right in that empty space in front of the console hmmm... makes ya' think...)

Old 11-02-2003, 07:40 PM
Moderator &

It's a Clarion... not sure on the model... let me do a little research myself and I should have it for you.

RP

Old 11-02-2003, 07:59 PM
Thanks RP,

BTW at the rate you're going you'll be at 10k by Tues.

Old 11-02-2003, 08:39 PM
Moderator &

Thanks RP,

BTW at the rate you're going you'll be at 10k by Tues.
10K by Tues? Pfft. Hopefully by 2004.

Anyways...

The part number is:

PSWFF150T

(I believe the T is for Tan... oh yeah, you'll have to paint it as the tan color that it comes in isn't the medium parchment like our dashes. So, with that in mind, toss in an additonal $30 for a can of interior paint from paintscratch.com (flex additive included))

RP

Old 11-02-2003, 08:52 PM
Thanks RP, and after a quick Google this will indeed be an Ebay search

Old 11-03-2003, 06:05 PM
If there's a negative to my King, I don't have a stupid tapedeck to run my Delphi unit through. I love my cd changer in dash, but I gotta find a way to get my XM back in the King. XM rox!

Old 11-03-2003, 06:23 PM
The FM modulator works with the SkyFi.

Follow Me !!! .

This is what I'm getting for my SkyFi.

I think that it will fit behind the stock unit, and also does away with the need for a Lighter adapter.

Poohbear

Last edited by poohbear; 11-03-2003 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:58 PM
The FM modulator works with the SkyFi.

Follow Me !!! .

This is what I'm getting for my SkyFi.

I think that it will fit behind the stock unit, and also does away with the need for a Lighter adapter.

Poohbear
God I love this forum. Thank you, Pooh. I sure don't want to drill into my new console though. I'm sure there are ways around this.

Old 11-04-2003, 01:09 AM
I've seen some net pics, you can mount the SkyFi normally ( I just want to integrate mine a little more, I will not be drilling the dash or console ).

I will be mounting the SkyFi cradle somewhere, maybe even to the dash or in a custom made console.

The antenna will either go the RP route or in an under the wiper cowl mount (there is a thread on the board descriping the way to do this).

The modulator can mount in the dash behind the stock head unit and be powered from the fuse box. In this config power for the cradle comes from the modulator so you only use the cradle from the car kit (does away with the tape adapter and lighter plug, sweet huh?). The antenna jack is a pass thru so the regular radio can be used as well. I think that using the cradle in a standard dash mount with the power and audio line to the cradle from the modulator running out under the dash would be a clean no drill install.

The down side is that the modulator is not easily transportable vehicle to vehicle (you already have one car kit though, with the cassette adapter for that )

Still researching but so far I think this will be a relatively painless but well worth it mod.

Old 11-06-2003, 12:16 AM
Moderator &

The antenna will either go the RP route or in an under the wiper cowl mount (there is a thread on the board descriping the way to do this).
Go the cowl route. It keeps the truck 'clean' looking and doesn't advertise that you have extra equipment inside your truck (hence theft).

Joe (KingRanchSC02) might be able to give you some additional pointers on the cowl mount as I know that's where he put his.

One of these weekends, I might reroute mine there...

RP

Old 11-10-2003, 02:20 AM
I have kinda been looking to get XM in the King, but I don't drive it enough though (average 439 miles a month), so I wonder if I could get the skyfi and have it hard wired, then get a cassette adapter for the other cars? I see a lot on ebay and I am looking at 149.00 is this correct for a Delphi Sky Fi + modulator and antennae? Then there is a 30.00 rebate. Then I guess I would have to find an installer. Is XM really worth it?

Old 11-10-2003, 10:16 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Damoncaravanman
... Is XM really worth it?
Opinions are like buttholes but, I think so. I love my XM.

Old 11-11-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Damoncaravanman
Is XM really worth it?
IMHO, hell yes! Let me ask you, you're in your truck that much, is listening to clear channel-dominated, simultaneous commericals, anti-trust violating radio worth it? I love my cd's but I work through six of them so quickly. Variety in 100 channels rocks!

Quick Reply: Add on consoles for front seat