Introduction Forum Introduce yourself to the Community here! If you have a technical question, try posting it in the appropriate forum.

Proud new owner of a 2013 F150 3.7L V6

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2023, 01:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Proud new owner of a 2013 F150 3.7L V6

Hi everyone,
I'm the proud new owner of a 2013 F150 3.7L V6 Supercab truck with 164K miles. I got it at a DOT auction for $3,900. This is my second truck, as ten years ago I had a s similarly configured 99 Dodge 1500, but sold it due to not hauling anything at the time, and have regretted not having a truck ever since.

So far I've replaced the battery, Fuel Vapor Canister Purge Valve, air filter, and changed the oil, but I'll probably upgrade some stuff and do additional repairs.

I think I need to flush the coolant as it's blue, and I think it's supposed to take the Orange DEX coolant.

It's stiff shifting from park into the other gears, so I ordered a Motorcraft SW5713 transmission range sensor, but I couldn't find where to install it, so I think I ordered the wrong part.

Old 07-06-2023, 03:34 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Welcome!

Do *NOT* use orange DEX coolant, that's only for GM. The correct coolant is Motorcraft Yellow but blue/green universal coolant is quite acceptable if you flush every 3 years.

The TRS should not cause stiff shifting. However, SW5713 is the correct part.

Any further questions, please start a thread in the appropriate forum. Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-06-2023, 06:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Wow that is a clean DOT work truck! Looks brand new!

You don't want to buy auctioned DOT/State/County surplus vehicles in NYS. They are normally destroyed.

Old 07-07-2023, 09:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you, but it's not quite as clean as it appears in the picture; you might be able to see a 7" long crease dent on the rear door, and there's a huge dent on the passengers side between the fender and tail light.
There's some rust on the rocker panels and inside the rear door area, but not bad for 10 years in the rust belt.

I'm sure the drivers weren't gentle with it, but at least the oil was changed regularly, which is something I can't say for a lot of used cars that I've looked at, and I'm surprised people don't change the oil before selling so that I at least think the vehicle was maintained.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-08-2023, 09:31 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by imamacuser
Thank you, but it's not quite as clean as it appears in the picture; you might be able to see a 7" long crease dent on the rear door, and there's a huge dent on the passengers side between the fender and tail light.
There's some rust on the rocker panels and inside the rear door area, but not bad for 10 years in the rust belt.

I'm sure the drivers weren't gentle with it, but at least the oil was changed regularly, which is something I can't say for a lot of used cars that I've looked at, and I'm surprised people don't change the oil before selling so that I at least think the vehicle was maintained.
Ahh, ok, after looking more closely and zooming in I see it. That orange hides it!

I'd just fix up any rust and drive it. Dents aren't going to do anything, especially when they are hard to see with that color.

I can say, if someone runs into your bright orange truck, they shouldn't be on the road!

Government vehicles usually get oil changes and whatever else needs to be done on them quite regularly. In fact, it's usually someone's job. So they want to "justify" their existence. (I'm a pro at "justifying" my existence at my job... )

Old 08-25-2023, 02:18 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi everyone,
I'm the proud new owner of a 2013 F150 3.7L V6 Supercab truck with 164K miles. I got it at a DOT auction for $3,900. This is my second truck, as ten years ago I had a s similarly configured 99 Dodge 1500, but sold it due to not hauling anything at the time, and have regretted not having a truck ever since.

So far I've replaced the battery, Fuel Vapor Canister Purge Valve, air filter, and changed the oil, but I'll probably upgrade some stuff and do additional repairs.

I think I need to flush the coolant as it's blue, and I think it's supposed to take the Orange DEX coolant.

It's stiff shifting from park into the other gears, so I ordered a Motorcraft SW5713 transmission range sensor, but I couldn't find where to install it, so I think I ordered the wrong part.

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your truck, enjoy! 🤩

Old 09-07-2023, 04:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi everyone,

Beautiful truck! Thank you for sharing and for being part of the Ford family. 😊

Quick Reply: Proud new owner of a 2013 F150 3.7L V6