Introduction Forum Introduce yourself to the Community here! If you have a technical question, try posting it in the appropriate forum.

New from the UK

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 03:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New from the UK

Hi all

I live in the UK a county called Lincolnshire but originally from London, houses are cheaper away from the cities

A big chunk of my life was Classic VW's, mostly splits but had a few bays and T25's then kids grew up and I found the time out with the family was what I really liked, having campers without them around wasn't the same.

For practical reasons I started buying land rovers [I live in the sticks] then pickups and only purchased my F150 because I was being nosey

The plan was to purchase a Toyota Hilux or Isuzu truck and after weeks of searching the net, seeing trucks that had a hard life or were to expensive because they had VAT to add to the price I spotted the add for the F150.
From the pictures I received it looked nice, it was described as being a 2.7L capable of 35mpg so the dealer said so I set off for a look.
Knowing nothing about these trucks [and still don't, will become evident later] I fell in love with it, it had been raining so I didn't notice the odd little dint, it looked perfect. Underneath was as good as new, mileage really low and what a drive by far the best truck I'd seen/driven far better than I ever expected and cheaper than anything else on the market. Needless to say I bought it.

Story I was told concerning history is the only UK owner listed worked in the States, fell in love with the truck and imported it in 2008 and other than going out for MOT's each year it was never used, less than 200 miles a year over the last 9 years resulting in a 15 year old truck with just 60k on the clock.

Here's a few pic's of my old motor that frankly is far to nice for what I had in mind, I hope you won't mind if occasionally I have to pick your brains to help keep her on the road, I know nothing about newer [] motors

Brian

Old 06-01-2017, 11:14 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Fantastic looking truck! If my math is correct that would make the truck a 2002 model. The base engine was a 4.2L V6 which is a great engine in 2002, not a 2.7L. The 97 & 98 4.2s had intake gasket issues that caused water to get into the engine as I understand it. You can probably divide that gas mileage figure by 2 to be more correct. It is one of the most reliable trucks you can ever buy.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:28 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Welcome! Great looking truck!

Old 06-01-2017, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadie
Welcome to the forum! Fantastic looking truck! If my math is correct that would make the truck a 2002 model. The base engine was a 4.2L V6 which is a great engine in 2002, not a 2.7L. The 97 & 98 4.2s had intake gasket issues that caused water to get into the engine as I understand it. You can probably divide that gas mileage figure by 2 to be more correct. It is one of the most reliable trucks you can ever buy.
Many thanks for your kind comments, we had worked out before purchasing [little research] that there wasn't a 2.7L at that time unless it was out of something else. Not quite sure but think UK gallon is a little bigger than U.S. and with very careful driving I get low 20's. Might not sound much but a friend with a new 3.0L auto Navara reckons to only get 18mpg from a diesel I also have a Mitsubishi L200 2.5 diesel and putting £50.00 in that gets me around 250 miles, I get 230 for the same £50.00 from the F150
I have never owned a truck with so much power before, over here they are all small engine'd diesels with low ratio boxes to compensate, the F150 to me is like driving a huge luxury motor, Ive never had it so good. Shame our fuel is so bleeding expensive

Originally Posted by Bluejay
Welcome! Great looking truck!
Thanks for the welcome