Rattle on passenger side (not window)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2002, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattle on passenger side (not window)

It's coming from the dash board above the passenger airbag. I've checked the glove box and that's not it. It's just a light rattling noise but it's very aggravating at times. It use to only happen when I was doing 70+mph, but now its mainly around highway speeds. My front end needs to be re-aligned and I am getting new tires soon could that be the problem? But should it be rattling anyway? I suppose it could be a loose or unsecured wire, but has anyone else had this problem and do you know how to fix it?

It's a 98 F150 ext cab.

Old 04-07-2002, 09:19 PM
Ranch 4x4, Mine is a 2001, but I had a similiar sound in my truck. Mine was located at the top of the dash (right side) where the dash stop and meets with the plastic trim piece that runs towards the top of the windshield. You can see where the two come together. I ended up getting a small piece of foam and put it between where the two pieces meet and the noise stopped. I hope this helps.

Old 04-07-2002, 11:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got a rattle on the right side also I always thought it was the glove box or something inside the door panel I 'll have to listen to it and see if it is coming from the dash around the airbag area.

Old 04-08-2002, 08:53 AM
I would expect a 4 year old truck to have some squeeks and rattles. You could drive yourself insane trying to track it down. Just turn up the radio.

Old 04-08-2002, 08:38 PM
All good points, I'll try the foam trick.

J150, true thats what I do lol.

Old 04-09-2002, 08:09 AM
Before the Ford, I had an 89 Chev 1500 (please don't hate me) Over the course of 9 years and 400,000 kms, I had progressively added more speakers and bigger amps to the sound system to drown it out.

Until the day I blew a fuse on the head unit and found out just how many noises the truck made (although luckily the engine didn't)

Before that I had the Ranger that was equally noisy.

I am just lucky enough now to have an XLT with the extra sound insulation in it that drowns out noises that you would probably hear in an XL.

Old 04-11-2002, 12:22 PM
Angry mine too

my truck does that also! I have been goin nutz about it for monthes. I only hear it every once in a while, but it does it for an hour or so. I have 2 12's behind my 60/40 that im sure rattles all sorts of stuff i dont realize but if you guys hear it to it must be specific. I always open and slam shut the glove box when i hear it because thats where it "seems" to come from. I really really hate this sound, it makes me feel like my truck was made in some cheap korean car plant. I will look at that peice you guys are talking about, hopefully i wont tear anything apart in frustration

Quick Reply: Rattle on passenger side (not window)