Dash mat

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash mat

So my wife and I purchased dash mats for our vehicles since they spend a lot of time directly in the sun, however the stickys they supply don't actually stick, I don't think they would stick to eachother if I tried. I was thinking of using some sort of liquid adhesive such as silicone or something but was wondering if anyone had any better ideas as to what I could use to get them to stick.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
look for velcro straps at advance auto. I used them on my tonno cover seals and have stuck. So I assume being inside it should work better. youll only need the peices that attach to the dash, since the mat can "stick" to it.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:34 AM
Assuming you actually got a "Dashmat" and not a Dash Mat (Dashmat brand, not a generic copy) it should have come with several long strips of self adhesive Velcro. You need to alcohol wipe the dash where you apply the strips, with the hook side up obviously, apply the strips to the dash, then apply the mat to the strips, adjusting until the fit is right. Had mine on now for a bit over a week. It sure is nice. Wish I had it sooner!

Old 09-26-2013, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by dbhost
Assuming you actually got a "Dashmat" and not a Dash Mat (Dashmat brand, not a generic copy) it should have come with several long strips of self adhesive Velcro. You need to alcohol wipe the dash where you apply the strips, with the hook side up obviously, apply the strips to the dash, then apply the mat to the strips, adjusting until the fit is right. Had mine on now for a bit over a week. It sure is nice. Wish I had it sooner!
Did you put that wrong colored one on, or a different one?

I definitely wouldn't use silicon or anything of that nature to adhere the mat to the dash, that would ruin the dash and make it permanent. I think you want to be able to take it off, especially for resale value, as I would remove a dash mat right away if a vehicle had one haha. Velcro strips made by Velcro brand and these funky, unique styled strips by Command brand would probably work pretty well. Both are made to hold pictures to walls, but be 100% removable with no damage to the surfaces they are stuck to. I used both of them to hang heavy metal signs and small license plates to my walls, but didn't want to damage the paint. They've been fantastic thus far. Though they are both designed to hang pictures, I'd at least give them a shot.

Got them from Lowe's at two different times. I'd recommend the Command ones first
Velcro Removable Picture Hangers (lots of different sizes)
---these hold directionally, so I don't know quite how well they'd hold the mat to a flat surface
Command Damage-Free Hanging "Picture Hanging Strips"; 3M product
---these actually have rough textured sides that "snap" into each other when you press them together. Very neat and I've never seen anything else like them. These would be my choice for you need

Last edited by KMAC0694; 09-26-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:57 PM
The command strips would have been a much better idea I think although a dab of clear RTV worked great. It comes off fairly easy as well (don't use black or any other color). Thank you all for your input and to be honest I'm not too sure what kind it is, it's from Cabelas and yeah it's been 11 months since I bought it but it does fit better now, just not what I expected.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:25 AM
Dash mats look kinda crappy. Why put any kind of adhesive on your dash (silicone or sticky velcro)? Both ways will ruin it. If you just use a sunshade when you park and periodically clean and protect your dash it will look fine for as long as you own the truck and looks way nicer.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by crfaut02
Dash mats look kinda crappy. Why put any kind of adhesive on your dash (silicone or sticky velcro)? Both ways will ruin it. If you just use a sunshade when you park and periodically clean and protect your dash it will look fine for as long as you own the truck and looks way nicer.
You obviously haven't seen my post about the huge crack that appeared in my dash. I use a a sunshade religiously, and keep my dash clean / armor all protected as often as is reasonable. (I am not Armor all-ing my dash daily, but every couple of weeks). UV is a real pain with plastic parts.

As far as the Dashmat I used, I got the Mocha colored one that I ordered. The Charcoal mistake was donated to Goodwill in Webster Texas.

The velcro strips adhere with their own adhesive sticky that is just, well velcro strips sticky. Not sure what it is. But I have been using this stuff for years with no ill effect in both auto and marine applications.

I didn't see the idea of the command strips before installing my Dashmat. I am intrigued by the idea as I have no idea how command adhesive would deal with heat... Interesting idea though.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:27 AM

Huh, my family doesn't use sunshades and rarely Armour Alls the dashes and we've never had an issue with cracking or even fading really. I'd rather have a cracked dash than one with a mat on it though . . . haha. It's like putting plastic on a couch IMO.

I'm not sure how the Command adhesive would handle the heat though good question

Old 10-17-2013, 01:11 PM
I think the problem was using armor all products. Armor all contains silicone and other harmful chemicals that will break down your dash over time.

Quick Reply: Dash mat