2001 Supercrew Cup Holder Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Supercrew Cup Holder Help!

The spring came off the back of my cup holder. Any ideas on how to remove the cup holder and replace the spring would be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Disregard! I figured it out. If anyone wants to know though, here is what I did.

Pull the cupholder out all of the way. On each side on the top just inside the dash you'll see two tabs. Take a screwdriver and press down on each tab while pulling the cupholder gently forward. The cupholder will pull completely out. Remove the small lightbulb on the back of the cupholder by gently twisting it.

If you are reattaching the spring, align the spring over the broken tabs with the two holes and predrill a hole for a 1/2" long sheet metal screw in each hole. I used a 1/8" drill bit and the appropriate sized screw. Note: I sanded the broken tabs down flat and used a nail to make a center punch for the new hole. Use the spring holes as a guide. Also, DO NOT over tighten as you could possibly break the plastic.

To reinstall, push the lightbulb back into the hole, line up the tracks and gently push in until it snaps into place. You will have to push down on the tabs to allow it to slide back in.

Works like a champ! I don't know why Ford didn't do the screw thing to begin with.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:36 PM
I have the cup holder not coming out problem too, I'll try this tonight! Thanks! When the spring came off was it laying behind the cup holder or did it fall to the floor? I'm hoping mine is still back there.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:16 AM
Mine was in the back. Easy to find. Good luck!

Old 02-16-2009, 09:15 AM
yeah, I got it done. That was 1 of 2 things that bother me about this truck I just bought so I'm all excited now. All I need to finish it off is 4 switch bezels for the doors in tan and I'm good to go! Anybody parting out a tan interior?

Quick Reply: 2001 Supercrew Cup Holder Help!