Cabin Noise Quiter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cabin Noise Quiter?

Hey guys, is there something that you can put on the inside of your door panels to make cabin noise quieter, something which you can buy at a store, and install yourself.

Also, I have never taken my door panels off before. Is it hard to do? How do you do it?

Old 11-17-2007, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by andrewc_11890
Hey guys, is there something that you can put on the inside of your door panels to make cabin noise quieter, something which you can buy at a store, and install yourself.

Also, I have never taken my door panels off before. Is it hard to do? How do you do it?

Dynamat for sound deading. It is kinda pricey, and I've heard there is some stuff you can by at Home Depot that is comparable for less. It's just thick asphalt/rubber type material you stick on the inside of the doors/floor to absorb the sound.

The door panels some off really easy. Just pull off the vertical piece by the window and there is a screw under there. Pry out the door handle bucket (there is a small notch) and there is screw there. Then pull off the power window/locks panel and disconnect the wires. Then grab the panel by the armrest and pull UP, not OUT. Then disconnect the small light on the door panel and that's it. (If you have manual windows there is a screw in the window crank)

Old 11-17-2007, 03:28 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Edead is the dynamat off brand, and works just as well.

as for your door panel, takes less then 2 min

Old 11-18-2007, 11:53 AM
Hi
you should have no problem taking the door pannels off,infact most of the interior comes away quite easy(do the intire thing for a weekend project ) just dont force anything and when taking the door pannels off watch out for the wires to the switches ect.

when i laid my dynomat down i put some behind the door speakers then behind all the cutouts in the frame,

then i laid a whole sheet over the top and at this point i also secured and properly insulatd the electrical components and the speaker housings,

i then applied some eggshell foam (used to put on your bed) to the plastic door pannel (this stops the plasic part of the door from rubbing vibrating against the dynomat.
after i did this to the hole cabin it made a huge difference (more than i thought) however it is costly so trying some alternatives could work out alot cheaper.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:57 PM
Ok so it is only 20 bucks for a yard by 10 feet. That seems like alot. (Dynomat) If I buy this stuff, what do I exactly do, just set it inside of my car door panels after I take them off. Do I glue it onto the panels? What exactly was the egg foam stuff for?

Thanks

Old 11-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by andrewc_11890
Ok so it is only 20 bucks for a yard by 10 feet. That seems like alot. (Dynomat) If I buy this stuff, what do I exactly do, just set it inside of my car door panels after I take them off. Do I glue it onto the panels? What exactly was the egg foam stuff for?

Thanks
dynamat is self adhesive, peel and stick to the door frame. Works best on a warm day, or use a heat gun to help smooth it out. Any additional foam seems like overkill to me, but I guess it helps, just don't put it on too thick or the panel might bulge out.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:52 PM
So This dynamat stuff works pretty well i assume. How much tire and road noise would you say it cuts out

Old 11-20-2007, 12:18 PM
The dynamat material is used to deaden sheet metal vibration. Use this on large sheet metal panels to stop vibration. Place a piece in the middle of the door outer skin, middle of floor pan, along front edge of roof, middle of backpanel. The material needs to be in the area where the sheetmetal bends during vibration. Wallpapering the sheetmetal is usually done at audio shops to use up more material and charge a higher price. The material does not absorb sound, it stops the panel from vibrating. You will get some decrease in "road and tire noise" because the road vibration input casues the sheetmetal to vibrate. Do a search on alternative dynamat products to get the best pricing, the dynamat name costs you more but performs no better. The vibration then moves air creating sound. Adding insulation (i.e. fiberglass batting, old blankets) glued to the plastic door trim, backpanel trim, etc will absorb noise.

Quick Reply: Cabin Noise Quiter?