Mildew smell - 1997 Regular Cab 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2000, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Mildew smell - 1997 Regular Cab 4x4

I have a mildew smell in the cab of my truck. When I stop short or start up, I can hear water flowing somewhere on the passenger side of the vehicle, I think from the back corner of the cab. It's not an extended cab. Has anyone ever had this problem? I can smell mildew whether or not I turn on the fan.

Any input would be greatly appreciated..Thanks!

Patti

Old 07-30-2000, 03:59 PM
Cool

Welcome to a wonderful sight full of help. Please give us a description of your truck type. Does your AC seem to be draining/puddling water on the ground after use? Do you seem to have any wet carpet?

------------------
2000 F-150 XL,RC,LB,5.4,4R70W,3.55LS,
Class III tow/Payload #3/Convenience pkgs.,
4-wheel disc/ABS,Chestnut/Parchment 40/60,
Ford bedliner & gas/wheel/spare locks,
3" cold air box modification,Superchip,
Dynomax ultra-flow welded 3" cat-back.

Old 07-30-2000, 11:07 PM
I have a 1997 F-150 XLT, regular cab, 5-speed, V8, 6' stepside bed with the 4x4 off-road package.

I don't use the AC very much at all, and there is nothing wet on the carpeting anywhere that I can tell. When I stop short or start up I hear water sloshing.

I'm quite stumped....Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!

Patti

Old 07-31-2000, 02:09 PM
Cool

Run the air for a while and while the truck and AC are still on, look under the truck (about at the firewall, on the passenger's side, about 1' in from the side). You should see a puddle of water forming. If not, you could have a clogged AC condensation drain line. Since you don't use your air much, what position do you leave your Heater/AC control in?

------------------

Old 07-31-2000, 05:16 PM
Another thought, you said "I can hear water sloshing...I think from the back corner of the cab", do you have the sliding rear window in your truck? If yes, then these have been known to leak. Maybe even inside the walls of the cab? If not, then maybe the rear window seal is allowing water into the walls of the cab? What do you think? I would check the drain holes in the passenger side door(s) for cloggs also.

Hobbit

------------------
99 XLT,4.6L Auto,4X4,tow pkge,Factory Side Steps and Mudflaps, K&N filter,BugflectorII, Amazon Green/Silver, Pace Edwards Rolltop Cover, still want a Superchip and by golly I'm gonna get one (just as soon and I hit the lottery )

Old 08-01-2000, 11:24 AM
Thanks for everyone's input - I will take a look at the sliding window and seals and perform the suggestions this weekend when I have more time.

I typically leave the Heat/AC control in the off position - should I do something different?

Thanks.

Old 08-01-2000, 03:24 PM
Cool

The reason I asked is because my 2000 owner's manual says: AC compressor is on in all modes except PANEL,FLOOR,AND OFF; and when vehicle is off, to leave it in any position except OFF OR MAX AC to let the system breathe. Great idea from hobbit also; I have seen many posts of rear window problems.

------------------

Old 08-01-2000, 10:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

While I was waiting to pick up my new F-150 yesterday, I spoke to the service manager about all of the mildew complaints...and he said it is a chronic problem...especially in the crown vics. He suggested running a small bleach mixture in the fresh air path to kill the mildew or use something similar. There is no way to prevent the water from sitting and mildewing according to him.

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, LEV, Superchip, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55 rear, class III towing package with heavy duty cooling package, Heavy duty shocks, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, factory leather wrapped steering wheel, FORD bedliner, K&N air filter, rubberized undercoating (soon), cabin filtration system - not yet installed, Bugflector II, Build date 7/00

[This message has been edited by Dustoff (edited 08-01-2000).]

Old 08-02-2000, 08:55 PM
It sounds like there's water in the door sill. If you can't get into the bottom sill yourself, take it to a body and fender shop.

The mildew odor could be coming from there. Check the carpeting for any moisture.

It could also be coming from the a/c as others have suggested. Turn the a/c on and spray Lysol or a commercial product from a a/c supply house into the air intake grill outside at the base of the windshield.

Quick Reply: Mildew smell - 1997 Regular Cab 4x4