Black scuff marks "impossible to remove?"

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2000, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Black scuff marks "impossible to remove?"

Hey guys i have the tan interior in my truck and especially on the kick plates and door panels i have the black skuff marks.

i have tried taking the kick plate off and scrubbing it off with a brush but no luck its like those black marks are there forever.

Does anybody know of a safe way to remove these marks from the interior without jacking it up with scratches and etc..?

any thoughts would be helpfull

Thanks!

Old 03-01-2000, 09:00 AM
Cool

I've had some luck getting stains and scuffs off of my grey plastic parts using Castrol Super Clean (Same as purple stuff I believe) and a lot of elbow grease.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Chris Thomas
1998 F-150XLT Flareside STX Sport Package, 4.6L Auto 3.55 Oxford White/Gray interior, Factory Anti-theft system
Picture: http://216.147.104.171/Y2K/members/ChrisT/christ1a.jpg
Homepage: Chris & Brandi's Universe
Mods: A.R.E. Decklid/Oxford White with gray fabric liner, K&N filter with Airbox Mod (removed silencer), Lowered 3" front/5" rear, Tinted Windows, GTS sloted taillight covers (painted Oxford white to match), Removed STX stickers
Audio: Kenwood Truck speakers with 10" woofers, Rockford Fosgate and Alpine Amps, Ford 10 disk CD changer
Future Mods: 20" rims and tires, True duals with Supertrap tunable mufflers, Superchip, Supercharger, Jacobs Ignition, and whatever else I can think of!!!

Old 03-01-2000, 04:02 PM
Moose-man,

Try a little lighter fluid......

------------------
Dunbarton "The Middle Aged Kid" '99 XLT SC SB 4x2 4.6 auto 3.55 ls The occasional Z-71 Eater! Wedgewood & Denim, SuperChipped, Airaid FIPK, Rhino Liner, Extang Classic tonneau cover, Mobil 1. Man, I got it all! (New Jersey)

Old 03-03-2000, 10:40 PM
Lightbulb

Model airplane Fuel! But try it in a hidden place first!

Old 03-04-2000, 02:35 PM
Wink

Try every thing above first but if those fail to remove the scuffs use Scotch Brite but be carefull!

Old 03-19-2000, 09:58 AM
Lightbulb

I hope your not a smoker and have a cigarrette lite when mess with that lighter fluid and model airplane fuel. But seriously all you need to do is use an eraser from a pencil. Work very well on removing ANYTHING cleaners can't. Just be careful the eraser don't break off the back of the pencil and you scratch your plastic with the metal holder.

------------------

[This message has been edited by riccog (edited 03-19-2000).]

Old 03-22-2000, 09:22 PM
I have tan kick plates etc and Ive had some good luck with simple green.

------------------
J Randall
jbirddog@uswest.net
Arizona F150 4x4 SC '97

Old 03-23-2000, 04:33 AM
Found this in the Lightning Forum by Metallic Blue:

To remove any residue on plastic parts.
Use some lighter fluid or isopropyl alcohol on a soft rag or with a tooth brush. Rub lightly on the spot to be cleaned. Repeat if neccessary. Then rinse the area with water.

The lighter fluid will not hurt the plastic.

(Do not use gasoline!) It will soften and damage the plastic. It must be lighter fluid or you can try isopropyl alcohol. Believe it or not Peanut Butter also works great Just make sure it's the creamy kind!

[This message has been edited by mtknee (edited 03-23-2000).]

Old 03-24-2000, 11:35 AM
Lightbulb

In boot camp, when we had scuff marks on the floor, we'd use the neutral shoe polish.

Old 03-24-2000, 02:47 PM
Try using Goop, Go-Jo, or what ever your favorite waterless hand cleaner is to the kick plate. Leave it sit for awhile, work it in again, leave it sit, etc. Just a quick wipe won't do it, it needs to sit, and be agitated a bit for it to eat stuff up. I've also used it with the same method to clean spots off of leather seats, but don't tell nobody, because my leather is lasting longer than theirs!

Old 03-24-2000, 06:23 PM
Why even use any harsh chemicals to clean it off? I mean come on, why would you even have to let any product sit on it for over 30min unless you were waiting for the chemicals to clean. I PROMISE you all you need to do is use a penicil eraser to erase your troubles away. I am a Home Improvement Contractor and I ALWAYS have problems with one sub contractor mssinfg up another contractor's work. Weather it be scuff marks on tile floors to tar marks on vinyl siding an eraser removes ANY trace of ANY foreign substance on ANY material with NO harsh chemicals. Go ahead and try it. Hell go ahead and make skuff marks on your interior and use an eraser to clean them. Then you'll see exactly how easy it is to remove them,

------------------

[This message has been edited by riccog (edited 03-24-2000).]

Old 03-24-2000, 06:23 PM
Why even use any harsh chemicals to clean it off? I mean come on, why would you even have to let any product sit on it for over 30min unless you were waiting for the chemicals to clean. I PROMISE you all you need to do is use a penicil eraser to erase your troubles away. I am a Home Improvement Contractor and I ALWAYS have problems with one sub contractor mssinfg up another contractor's work. Weather it be scuff marks on tile floors to tar marks on vinyl siding an eraser removes ANY trace of ANY foreign substance on ANY material with NO harsh chemicals. Go ahead and try it. Hell go ahead and make skuff marks on your interior and use an eraser to clean them. Then you'll see exactly how easy it is to remove them.

------------------

[This message has been edited by riccog (edited 03-24-2000).]

Old 04-07-2000, 01:19 PM
Talking

I use WD-40 to remove scuffs from plastic and vinyl. I have never had any plastic or vinyl damage from using WD-40. Also good for removing tar and grease from painted surfaces.

------------------
2000 F-150, XLT, SC, 5.4, 4X4, 355 LS, ORP, Black/Silver, class III, single CD, sliding glass, med. gray, keyless, elect. shift, engine date 8-18-99, Superchip. '93 Harley Fatboy Black & tons of chrome

Old 04-08-2000, 03:37 AM
Cool

Goof-Off...got it @ Target.

------------------
1999 4.6 Extra Cab-Short Bed
Silver Clear Coat Metalic
K&N Airfilter
17 Inch 2000 Chrome 4X4 Wheels Wrapped in 275/60/17 ZR Yokahama AVS
White-Faced Luminescent Gauges
Flowmaster 3 inch Cat Back 40 Series Exhaust
3.5 Inch Polished Thermal Research Exhaust Tip
Clear Corner Lenses
Super White Headlight and Turn Signals

Old 04-10-2000, 11:29 AM
Easy with the Goof Off, it'll bleach the color right out of the plastic. In fact I could feel the plastic getting soft as I was wiping it off.

Quick Reply: Black scuff marks "impossible to remove?"