#@$&* rattle in steering column area

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2000, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question #@$&* rattle in steering column area

ok as we seem to have a good group of rattle fixers here lets see if we can get to the bottom of this one...it is driving me CRAZY!!!!

Happens every now and again when I hit a rough area in the road....a dirt road that has been through a few rains and that hasn't been dragged in awhile would probably bring it out reeeaall good.....anyway it is a heavy rattle (no jokes on my description ok), like metal on metal. Sounds like steering column is loose.

The steering column isn't loose 'cause I tightened it when I did the extension for the lift (the rattle has occurred before and after the lift). As a sidenote I had squeaky pitman arm replaced w/ no impact on rattle.....so any suggestions?

------------------
1997 Arctic White F-150 XLT Flareside SC, K&N, Magnaflow muffler, Air Box mods, Bugflector II, Soft Tonneau Cover, Chrome Westin Bars, 3" Performance Accessories Body Lift, tinted windows

Flares Rule!!!!!

Old 03-10-2000, 09:22 AM
There is a TSB for clunking from steering column. The intermediate steering shaft (goes between steering gear box, through fire wall, connects to shaft of tilt-wheel assembly under dash). The joint in this shaft has a problem that develops over time. I could feel it through the wheel intermittently as it developed. And sometimes could hear a clunk-clunk on worse times. Don't know if that is your problem or not, but it's a thought.

Old 03-10-2000, 05:34 PM
I don't think its dangerous, otherwise it would be a safety recall. You could try to badger your dealer by telling them you know about the TSB, and that they should have done it to your truck while it was still in warranty, blah blah blah. Worth a try. Otherwise, its a new shaft assembly from Ford parts. I guess you could call another dealer's parts dept. to find out how many $$$ worth of blah blah blah it might be worth! But if need be, changing it is pretty simple.

Old 03-11-2000, 12:11 AM
Thanks Granpa!! That sounds like exactly the problem I'm having!!

Does anyone know of a fix for this? Please keep the words cheap in mind.

Also is this "joint problem" dangerous e.g failure in steering?

------------------
1997 Arctic White F-150 XLT Flareside SC, K&N, Magnaflow muffler, Air Box mods, Bugflector II, Soft Tonneau Cover, Chrome Westin Bars, 3" Performance Accessories Body Lift, tinted windows

Flares Rule!!!!!

Quick Reply: #@$&* rattle in steering column area