When does it go away? that smell....

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2000, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question When does it go away? that smell....

When does this wonderful "new truck" smell go away? I don't want to treat my interior with anything until that SEXY smell goes away.... Call me crazy, but I know what I like... LOL...

------------------
2000 F150 XLT S/C, V6, 5 Speed (Is there any other way?!) Power everything, CD, Capt chrs, 3.55 axle, yadda yadda yadda...

Old 01-20-2000, 11:03 PM
Cool

I love the smell of my new truck. I'm getting use to the smell, but everybody that see's it says it smells new.

------------------
Ford vs Chevy
www.fordvschevy.com
Moderator: Road Kill, Mustang vs F-bodies
2000 White F-150 Sport 4.2L 5-speed,3.55 rear end gears
No Mods Yet

Old 01-20-2000, 11:04 PM
Talking

I've found that a good pot of spicy chili will take care of new vehicle odors!!!

Old 01-21-2000, 12:50 AM
Location: INDIANA,.....USA " Where more than Corn grows in Indiana"!!!
Thumbs up

You need to get some of stuff called "new car smell odor" it`s in a can you slide it under you seat open. Works great!!!!!!!!!!!!...Lariat#1

------------------
1997 Red/Silver F150 Lariat Flareside 3 Dr. SC W/ ORP & Tow Package, Complete Lariat Package Option List ,{APPEARANCE}: AVS Carbon Fiber Headlite Covers, Tail Lite Slots & Door Sill Protectors,Owens Fg. Step Boards, Tinted Windows,Ford 2-Piece Bra,20" Chrome Exhaust Tips,A.R.E Bed Cover Lid,Pendaliner Inner Tail Gate Protector,Zie-Bart Total Paint & Under Coating W/ Sounder Deadener Protection, #1 Ford Truck Plate under glass on Front Bumper, {PERFORMANCE}: 4.6L Auto, 3.55LS, 4-Wheel ABS,Platinum 3 Spark Plugs,K&N Air Filter W/ modified stock air box, Tornado Air Man.,WMS Velocity Tube,Dual Exhaust System,Per. Fiction Carbon Mettalic Disc Brake Pads,Goodyear Wrangler A/TS Tires,55 Watt(replacement) Back-up Lites, Pilot 55 watt Back-up Lites on Hitch under truck,Foglites work W/ Brites On , {STEREO}: Stock In-Dash Cass. W/6 Disc Changer & 4 Stock Speakers, {SECURITY}: Ford Security System W/ Motion Alarm All on same Key Fob, This is LARIAT 1... IN The Great State Of Indiana..........http://hometown.aol.com/terrylariat1...page/auto.html A very Proud Member of ...www.f150online.com

Old 01-21-2000, 11:56 AM
Well to answer your question of "how long." In my truck I could not smell it after about 2 months. However; as long as 5 months afterwards other people could still smell it in my truck. When you drive it all the time you get used to the smell. If you don't believe me, when your truck is 3-4 months old and you haven't smelled the "new car smell" in a long time. Park it with the windows rolled up for a week then get in. It will smell like a car on the lot to you.

------------------
1999 Lariat SuperCab Flareside, Amazon Green with Silver trim, 5.4L, 4x2, 4 wheel disc/ABS, 3.55 limited slip, towing package, fog lamps, sliding rear window, captains chairs, keyless entry with alarm, spray-on bed liner, bug guard, and K&N. http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~bfriesen/truck.html

Old 01-21-2000, 06:16 PM
Cool

I guess I forgot to include another question... If I apply any vinyl treatments, like ArmorAll and the like, will it cause the "new vehicle" smell to go away? I do not want that to happen, but preservation of my rig is more important to me. I have heard that there are "odorless" applications on the market, but I have yet to find any. It seems they all have some odor in them. <sigh>

I hope everyone has a safe weekend!

------------------
2000 F150 XLT S/C, V6, 5 Speed (Is there any other way?!) Power everything, CD, Capt chrs, 3.55 axle, yadda yadda yadda...

Old 01-21-2000, 11:43 PM
I hope you all realize that the new car smell you love is actually volatiles and plasticizers and other junk. It's not exactly the healthiest stuff we should be breathing!

As for ArmorAll, I know lots of people swear by it, but I swear at it. Every single car I ever used Armor All on ended up with cracked dashes. When I quit using it, the cracking stopped.

These days, I just wipe with a damp towel.

Old 01-29-2000, 02:05 AM
Claudia,
I have heard from friends that the new car smell is from the new material off everything: seats, dash, etc.

I would suggest doing what Dennis does for now. Using a damp towel to clean.

After a month, my smell went away. I bought one of those Glade inserts labeled "New Car Odor". It smells like sh*t. So don't buy that. After your smell goes away, get a pina colada smell or something.

Old 01-30-2000, 01:13 PM
Angry

Claudia,

I bought my truck in September, and as late as the last trip to the dealership two weeks ago, I had people telling me my truck still smelled new! I picked it up from the dealership after they had it for a week, and it smelled like smoke! Obviously one of the mechanics was smoking while replacing the molding strip! It really pissed me off! The new smell is gone, and fortunately, now the smoke smell is gone as well!

------------------
Paul...
99 F-150 XLT SC Sport, 4.6L, Auto, Captain Chairs, Class III Towing Package, 3.55 LS, Sliding Rear Window, White, 4X2, CD, Soft Factory Tonneau Cover, K&N Filter, WMS Velocity Tube, Line-X Spray on Bed Liner, Gibson Side Swept Cat Back System, F150online Decal...
More to come!

ptarnuzzer@megsinet.net

Old 01-30-2000, 05:52 PM
Wink

PaulT: Here is one great big hug from me to you: ((((((((PAULT)))))))) You have been so helpful!

I am glad you don't have to smell that nasty smoke smell vs a new P/U smell! I have also found Febreeze to be a very useful product in getting rid of nasty smells perpetrated by my dogs... grrr... but the Febreeze works great! I'm not sure what it does to the fabric, but it definitely gets rid of bad scents!

------------------

Old 01-30-2000, 11:40 PM
Red face

Claudia...

Thanks.... I'm blushing!

------------------
Paul...
99 F-150 XLT SC Sport, 4.6L, Auto, Captain Chairs, Class III Towing Package, 3.55 LS, Sliding Rear Window, White, 4X2, CD, Soft Factory Tonneau Cover, K&N Filter, WMS Velocity Tube, Line-X Spray on Bed Liner, Gibson Side Swept Cat Back System, F150online Decal...
More to come!

ptarnuzzer@megsinet.net

Old 01-31-2000, 08:38 AM
Thumbs up

Claudia: I also agree with Dennis, I don't like armor-all either. I use a cream vinal protectant that I bought from a detailer. I haven't a clue what this stuff is, hasn't got much of a smell and now I'm almost out of it so I'll be hitting the auto parts store for a replacement. I used this stuff on my last truck, a 97 that I bought in July 96 so that was 3 1/2 years. The dash looked brand new when I sold it. So I'll be looking for something that's simular to use in this truck.

I like your sig: 5 speed, is there any other way!!! The only other way that I've found is on my truck I gotta shift!!!

------------------
2000 F250 Crew Cab 4x2 6 speed Diesel XLT Super Duty, Woodland Green
Power Mirrors, 3.73 LS, Captains Chairs, ARE tonneau top, mud flaps
Trailer tow Pkg, Class IV hitch, sliding rear window, running boards
rear privacy glass, 265/75/16 AS OWL tires, am/fm/cassette/cd
Clarion APA 5240 amp, Memphis speakers:Components front, 5.7 rear, 10"sub

Old 03-03-2000, 10:39 AM
Question

I got my new truck yesterday and I must say I'm disappointed by that "new car smell." Even though I have the leather front seat, my interior has more of a synthetically sweet deodorizer or something; hard to describe. Not really pleasant.
When I picked up the truck, I peeked inside a new Lincoln LS with leather. Wow, that smelled like a new car! A mixture of leather, plastics, and new vinyl, the way new cars are supposed to smell.
Does anybody else out there feel cheated in the "new car smell" department?

------------------
BEJ.
Y2K Lariat Flareside, Deep Wedgewood Blue monotone, med. graphite leather, tow package, 3.55 posi, 5.4.

Old 03-03-2000, 01:08 PM
Dennis, you don't like Armour All also. I use ProLab products. Armour all never cracked my dashes but todays vehicles have a UV protection in the windshield that will help protect the interior. But I wonder if Ford puts UV protection in their plastics?

I didn't like Armour All because my dash would get too dusty and was harder to clean after the application. I now use the Pro Lab stuff maybe twice a year and for the rest of the time I use the california duster, no smells and It is fast and easy.

Claudia, on my ZX2 (new 25Km) after 3 months and stained carpets I used a solvent that really smelt bad, I mean really bad. But after airing out the car the new car smell came back. Although I started to smell it less and less, when other people got in they always said "mmmm new car smell". So I guess it takes awhile to go away. After 7 months people stopped saying the "new car smell" bit.

------------------
1997 4x4 XLT 4.2l ORP 5-speed
For more details and pics please see my site...Thanks
www.eph1fifty.cjb.net

Old 03-04-2000, 12:45 AM
Wink

Hey Claudia, I agree with Dennis 100%. It's not the healthiest thing, as previously stated.
The smell does take you off in another world and really lets you know, you have somethings new. It almost gives you a sense of accomplishment.... you completed a journey and the rewards were something NEW! Eventhough I still do enjoy the smell also, don't inhale....lol! I still have that new car smell, but I've only had my baby for about a month now. Armor All.... no, causes cracking. I use Zaino Z-10 Leather Soft (treatment and conditioner) it too protects against UV rays and works great on vinyl! Gives your interior that suttle leather smell without interrupting the new car smell too much, a bit though. What's wrong with the smell of new leather!

------------------
2000 F-150 Lariat 4x2 SB,SC,Styleside,Amazon Green/Clearcoat Metallic,5.4 Liter V8, Class III Tow-Package,3.55 Limited Slip Rear,Bug Deflector,Duraliner Bedliner,Superchip,K&N Filter.