Quit smoking, interior stinks!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2000, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Quit smoking, interior stinks!!

Hi all, I quit smoking after 20 years, and my interior totally stinks!! I never noticed it before, but I sure do now. Is there a good product out there that would get rid of that smell, or am I destined to buy a new truck to get rid of it?? Thanks, Tony

------------------
98 XLT SC Flareside 4.6, 3.55LS, ORP, loaded (no leather), chrome Smittybilt Outland, 2 KC Daylighters (stainless), chrome diff cover, Ventshades, catback duals, Alpine CDw/Alpine 6-disc changer, Air Raid FIPK, 3" Body Lift, 33" Super Swamper SSRs on Centerline HTII Rims: www.mwr.is/~outplayn/Ford.html
REPLACED TORSION BAR
"The never ending project truck"

Old 01-29-2000, 11:01 PM
Congrats!

Haven't found anything yet better than FreeBreeze (sp?) Can be purchased at Walmart/ Kmart type stores.

Old 01-30-2000, 11:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

Take it to a good detail shop they should be able to get it out.
It will cost you but it will be worth it.

Old 01-30-2000, 01:30 PM
I've used Febreze (correct spelling I looked on the bottle!) as well with excellent results! The smell is pretty intense when first applied, but fades as it dries! One suggestion though, apply it early in the day or in a dry garage and leave the windows down for as long as possible! Also, it's available in most grocery stores in the laundry asile, cost is @ $3.00 to $4.00!

------------------
Paul...
99 F-150 XLT SC Sport, 4.6L, Auto, Captain Chairs, Class III Towing Package, 3.55 LS, Sliding Rear Window, White, 4X2, CD, Soft Factory Tonneau Cover, K&N Filter, WMS Velocity Tube, Line-X Spray on Bed Liner, Gibson Side Swept Cat Back System, F150online Decal...
More to come!

ptarnuzzer@megsinet.net

Old 01-30-2000, 10:01 PM
Thumbs up

outplaying: Since no one else has said anything about this, congratulations on your move to quit smoking! This is one of the toughest drugs to quit because it seems that your entire life is built around a smoke. When I am out for a walk and see a discarded pack thrown out at the curb, I still want to look inside and see if there is one left. And it has been a quite a spell since the last one too! Good luck, it is amazing what you can smell after the smoke clears....j.b.

------------------
99 SC Sport, Silver color everywhere, 4.2 auto,3.55 rear gear, split bench, stock AM/FM @ 2 cheesy speakers w/Ford brand bedliner. Keep'n stock from the factory because we love it for what it is...One fine ride!

Old 02-01-2000, 07:13 AM
Thumbs up

To all who responded, thanks for the input, I have used Febreeze before, and it worked for a while, but then the smoke hit it again and all was lost. Next time I get to the states, I'll pick some up. There may be detail shops up here, but I'll probably never find one, as the only time I go off base is to go off road.

Old 02-01-2000, 11:46 AM
Cool

Try this...Take a dish of white vinegar, set it in the truck (in the sun) with the windows closed and let it absorb the smell. It may take repeated attempts to completely eliminate the smell. You must replace the vinegar after each time. Also, stick a couple of bars of IVORY or IRISH SPRING under the seat. The soap absorbs stinks.

You must be military....squid?

Good luck.

------------------
1997 F-150 Reg. Cab/Short Box, 4.2L, Auto 3.31 Rear, Black/Silver

Old 02-01-2000, 06:31 PM
Find or rent an ozone generator. Open up all the a/c vents too. At some point, you may want to run the a/c while the ozone generator is on.

Old 02-02-2000, 12:37 AM
Thumbs up

outplaying, Congrats on quitting the cancer sticks! Did you use gum or the patch? I have been smoking for 16 years and have been thinking alot about quitting lately. When I sold my last car that I smoked in, I cleaned the interior with Tough Stuff spray on foam (I think simoniz makes it). It worked great, completely got rid of the smell. I sold it about 2 weeks after I cleaned it and when the guy came to check it out he commented on the fact that he was glad I didn't smoke in the car. Take the seats out so you get every inch of carpet clean and don't forget to clean the headliner.

------------------
99 F150 XLT Silver 2WD S/C 4.2 5-speed, Pioneer DEH P4000, Superchip, Flowmaster muffler // Rear door switch guards - check them out at http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/show/5031

[This message has been edited by Darin (edited 02-01-2000).]

Old 02-02-2000, 07:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Another idea is to buy a set of Ventshades and leave the windows cracked all the time till the smell goes away.

------------------
99 XLT 5.4L Regular Cab 4x2 120" Wheelbase 4 wheel disc brakes/ABS 5 star larait style wheels Toreador Red/Silver 3.55 gears 255/70/16 OWL Delta toolbox, Ford Running Boards, Ventshades, Bugflector, Bullrings, Donnelly compass mirror, 2" Rear drop.
Eclipse 5340 cd player
Memphis ARCS50 component speakers w/tweeters mounted flush in the door panels (excellent sound)powered by a Sherwood 35x2 RMS amp
Kicker ZR360 for the 2 Audiobahn AWC10 subs
regcab54@sc.rr.com

Old 02-02-2000, 07:32 PM
Wink

Katmandu; yeah, squid allright. I like the idea, but sun? Not much of that up here, guess I'll have to try something else. The soap bar might work, have to try that.
Darin; Used the patch for two days, and Zyban for a week. After that, just decided that I can spend more money on my truck by not smoking. LOL.
54; have been leaving the windows cracked, due to the wetness up here, ie melting snow, but so far nothing yet. I know this way will take a while, so we'll see.
I just cleaned the windows, and wiped the plastic with simple green, and it took care of some of it, now time to get some cleaner for the cloth type stuff. I have read the suggestions, and would like to try all of them, but am sort of limited right now to what we have in stock. Thanks again

Old 02-15-2000, 02:12 PM
Can't you use the simple green on the fabric? I think that is the stuff my sister uses to clean up the carpet when her dogs make a mess?

------------------
quzax@at-dot.com

Old 02-19-2000, 06:26 PM
Red face

quzax; duh, I didn't even think of that. Here I am trying to find something for the carpet, and I already used it for the plastic stuff. I feel like a real brainchild right now. And I do what for a living??? thought so. Anyway, I'll have to try that. thanks

Old 02-20-2000, 08:40 AM
Lightbulb

DO NOT USE Simple Green on carpet or any other fabric. If it is not dirty use carbonated water and wipe it down. MOST every chemical designed to clean carpets leaves a residue which makes the problem much worse. Carbonated water will not make it worse. An Ozone generator will get rid of ANY smell in the truck. Clean it first and then use the ozone generator, if you have access to one. I have one where I work and I saved my moms car after it flooded up to the dash vents. It smelled brand new after the ozone.

Old 02-20-2000, 09:32 PM
Unhappy

Hmmm...I hate to break this to you outplaying, but the tar, nicotine, and other associated chemicals work their way into the interior because it is porous. Not to discount the advice given here, because there are various chemicals that can mask the smell temporarily. But it's kinda like spilling a bowl of chili in your car...after awhile (especially on hot days) the smell will return. And it's more than just replacing seats and carpets. It gets in the dash pad, the door panels, the a/c and heating vents, headliner, all padding...everything. Plastic WILL absorb chemicals of that nature, and if you wipe a cloth with some cleaner over your interior wiring, you'll find it has a brownish film on it.

If you need a new truck...well.....

------------------
1999 F-150 4x4 SuperCab, Deep Wedgewood Blue, ORP, 4-Wheel ABS, Loaded, Flowmaster 50 series, K&N, Tint, Super-White headlights, Westin Nerf Bars, Toff Spray-On Bedliner, Pioneer DEH-P3000 and TS-A6815 speakers, ADS PQ/8 amp.

Quick Reply: Quit smoking, interior stinks!!