Overhead console- do you put your garage door opener in it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-1999, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Overhead console- do you put your garage door opener in it?

For those of you that have the overhead console...do you put your door opener in it?? I monkey with mine constantly and can't seem to get it to work right.

Any tips??? The manual is not much help, and the techs at the garage weren't either!!!

------------------
2000 F-150,XLT,Bright Red Clearcoat, 4x4,ORP,SC,4-speed auto., 5.4L, 3.55 LS,Tow Package, Ford factory Tonneau cover, Cab Rails, Lund Bug Shield, Mudflaps, Tennatoys 18" antenna, Pendaliner bedliner, Mobil 1

Old 12-30-1999, 09:38 PM
Mooner,

I put my garage door opener in the console and it worked great, not without a little trouble though. I had to put mine in sideways (it was too long otherwise) and I also had to put two of the spacers under the remote to provide bracing when you push on the door. As you may know, the console holder is designed so that when you have installed your remote correctly, just pushing on the door of the console opens your garage door.

------------------
BLK 2000 F150 XLT 4X4 SuperCab SB, Shift-on-the-fly, 5.4L, 4R70W, 3.55 LS, 4-Wheel disc/ABS, ORP, Keyless, PWR Seat, Slider, Soft tonneau, Cab steps.
MODS: Rhino, Molded flaps,

Old 12-30-1999, 10:39 PM
I got a replacement opener for my truck that was small enough to fit in the console. I stuck the velcro strip on the back of the opener, then had to play around with placing it in the console in the right place for those little square white "lego" blocks to push the button. Mine needed 4-5 of those blocks stacked up to reach the opener in the top of the console. Works slick, I barely have to push on it to make it work. Just took time to program the opener and find just the right placement in the console.

------------------
00 supercab, 5.4,4x4, stay up too late on this site!

Old 12-31-1999, 06:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't have a gararge so I put my radar detector up there when I'm not using it witch is when ever I park the truck.

------------------
2000 F150 XLT Reg. cab
4.6 Triton Engine
4x2 3.55 rear end gear
sliding rear window
automatic keyless entry
white styleside short box

Old 01-18-2000, 05:31 PM
Thumbs down

It doesn't really work for me. The glue-side of the velcro tape keeps detaching from the plastic "ceiling" of the compartment, so after I re-stick it I find it flopping around in the compartment for a few days. Maybe the glue can't take this San Diego heat. My remote is small, too, so I need to get more "legos"... for both of these reasons I find this idea useless. A better idea can be found in the newer Hondas, Audis, etc... the "Home Link" programmable buttons.

------------------
2000 F-150 Lariat, 4x2, 4.6L automatic Supercab, Styleside, Blue with gold two-tone, 3.55 slip axle, class III towing package, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, med parchment leather interior, in dash CD, Ford/Duraliner bedliner, Ford chrome nerf bars, Ford bug deflector, Steel Horse billet grille, Leer hard tonneau cover, K&N air filter

Old 01-21-2000, 06:20 PM
Talking

I just put napkins in it. No garage opener, just napkins... LOL

------------------
2000 F150 XLT S/C, V6, 5 Speed (Is there any other way?!) Power everything, CD, Capt chrs, 3.55 axle, yadda yadda yadda...

Old 01-24-2000, 08:50 PM
Cool

mooner,
i used a premium double face tape on my door
opener, it seems the velcro's tape supplied
was not to strong,
p.s. i like the idea of putting a radar dect.
up there

------------------
2000 F150 XLT BLACK, 4X4,SPORT 5.4, 3.55,
SC,SB,ABS, 17IN WHLS, REMOTE ENTRY, CD,
TUBULAR SIDE STEPS, SMK BUG GAURD, VENTSHADES, MOLDED MUD FLAPS, LINER ALL FORD PRODUCTS

Old 01-24-2000, 10:47 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking

There has been talk that Ford monitors this site and reads this stuff. If that's so they must be under strict orders not to make a sound, kinda like the Japanese soldier in WWII. You could step right on them and they'd never let you know they were there.

Ever since the 2000 model came out I've been complaining all over this site about Ford taking away the cubby that was to the right of the steering wheel for three model years. I realize now that all those Ford lurkers wanted to say,
"Hey Raoul, look up you idiot, over your head!"

But, Ford wouldn't let'em say nothin, hehehe.

Old 01-27-2000, 12:36 AM
I have a great solution for the problem. My wife's '99 Explorer Limited with a sun roof does not have an overhead compartment for the door opener. Instead, the Limited has a special sun visor on the drivers side which has a small (2" x 3") built in message recorder with three (yes 3) programmable garage door opener buttons. To program it you just hold your regular opener close to it and push the button - it remembers the frequency and you do not need to carry your standard opener. COOL idea! I bet the visor cost $$$$$$. Sounds like a good after market idea for all of you suppliers out there.

------------------
Mine: '97F150,XLT,SC,4x4 ORP,4.6L,3.55LS,auto,6 CD,Towing package,alarm,Rhino grill guard w/PICCA lights,dual exhaust.

Wife: '99Explorer Limited,pearl white/tan leather,4.0L,4:10LS,CD,sunroof,towing pkg.,alarm

Quick Reply: Overhead console- do you put your garage door opener in it?