What should I use to clean the dash?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 02:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should I use to clean the dash?

I'd like to know what everyone uses to clean their dash boards, door panels, and instrument cluster face? I've just used 409 on my old truck on the door panels and dash, then some windex on the instrument cluster face. Is 409 ok to use on the vinyl and plastic? I don't want to use anything thats going to damage the vinyl or plastic in my new 04! Thanks!

Old 11-19-2003, 08:47 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Honestly, I'd avoid the 409, and for that case, the windex on your cluster.... 409 because it's designed to remove grease/oils from surfaces. What you must remember is that plastics are largely made of petroleum products so, I'd think that if you're using a bunch of it over time, you could aid in deteroation of the dash (which is, indeed, plastic). I'd avoid Windex for a very similar reason... well, that and I know that windex, over time, will cloud plastics.

I know it's not available in a spray bottle (unless you put it there) but, I use a heavy nap cotton terry cloth and water. That's it.

I'm not a 'shine freak' when it comes to my dash thus, keeping it clean it my only objective. Also, mind you, if you're looking for a 'protectant' for your dash, the only real reason that you would need to worry with something is for sunscreen (UV) protection for fading. The dash in all the new vehicles (Lexus to Subaru... Ford to GM) are composite plastics. Not the vinyl covered foam of the past.

I'm a freak when it comes to keeping my truck in top notch shape and I utilize several 'high end' products for paint care and interior leather care but, I still stick with the notion that the more simple you can keep it, the better off you'll be in the long run.

Hope that helps a little and enjoy that new 04!

RP

Old 11-19-2003, 10:07 AM
Ditto

I use just a rag and water as well.

RP....out of curiosity, do you use anything to clean your windows? I have tinted windows and have heard not to use ammonia based cleaner on the windows (will mess up the glue that holds the tint on after awhile) so I bought some vinegar based windex. Just wondering what others use on the windows....Thanks!

Old 11-19-2003, 10:39 AM
After reading other posts on window cleaners, I recently tried Stoners Invisible Glass. Absolutely terrific product and I would highly recommend. I understand that it is safe for tinted windows as well. It is the BEST window cleaner I have ever used!

Just my 2c.

Old 11-21-2003, 06:23 PM
I use Armor all cleaning wipes or one of those rags that picks up dust.

Old 11-28-2003, 02:29 AM
alcohol based window cleaners are tint safe

Quick Reply: What should I use to clean the dash?