clean leather before treating??

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 07:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clean leather before treating??

I have been doing some research on leather care and it seems that Lexol is a favorite product on this website. I wanted to know if I need to clean my leather every time I treat it? My F150 doesn't have leather, but my '03 Mustang GT does. My Mustang is a convertible and the seats are starting to feel like they need something. I have had it for about 4 months and but the top down every chance I get. Thanks for any advice you guys have. The guys on the Mustang site I joined don't always reply to posts.

Old 11-05-2003, 11:41 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cleaning with a chemical type cleaner isn't recommended each and every time on the leather (this is my recommendation by the way)...

I do like Lexol but, I wouldn't dare buy another bottle of their leather cleaner. It's not that great in my opinion...

Here's my process...

1. Eagle Ottowa Tanner's Preserve Leather Cleaner (might have to get it online but, it's worth it.... Wally Hell used to sell it but no longer does.

2. Condition with Lexol (BROWN BOTTLE).

Only do this if your leather is noticiably dirty. What I mean by this is if you can take a clean white terry cloth across it and get alot of dirt.

If it's just slightly soiled, just use a warm moist cloth to clean and don't use the chemical cleaners.

RP

Old 11-07-2003, 07:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks RP

Old 11-07-2003, 08:49 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by JOHNSON505
Thanks RP
No problemo...

Keep in mind that your seats are clearcoated with a porus 'cover' over the leather to make it last longer as well as provide a certain level of protection.

Many will tell you that using leather conditioners on a clearcoated surface is bogus but, what they are neglecting to mention is that even clear coat is porus and needs a certain degree of conditioning.

The same is true for the clear coat on our vehicle's paint. If it wasn't porus, why would we bother to wax and protect?

Just a thought...

RP

Quick Reply: clean leather before treating??