Lariat seating: What part is leather...and what ISN'T ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lariat seating: What part is leather...and what ISN'T ???

I've heard the "leather" seating on the Lariat package is limited to "seating surfaces"....and that not all of the seating area is leather. Is this true?

Today I was applying leather conditioner on my SuperCrew seats for the first time. As I looked at the backrest portion of the driver's seat, I started thinking when I observed the script "Lariat" embossed in the surface....and wondering exactly how Ford (or Lear, or whoever makes the seats) was able to emboss script writing in a leather surface. Was it vinyl instead? Then I began wondering how much perfectly good Lexol I was rubbing into vinyl that doesn't need it.

So....does anyone know (or care to take a guess) what portions of the front and back seats on the Supercrew are leather? (or if you own a reg/ext. cab, can you answer for the front seat only). If so, can you describe where these portions are located? If you can and care to, thanks in advance.

Old 02-01-2003, 11:20 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Lariat seating: What part is leather...and what ISN'T ???

Originally posted by cheeks
I've heard the "leather" seating on the Lariat package is limited to "seating surfaces"....and that not all of the seating area is leather. Is this true?
Indeed, it is true. Only the surfaces that your skin can touch while seated are leather. Keep in mind however that the vinyl needs some lubrication and conditioning as well to keep it supple and from drying out.

Sidenote: I see you're using Lexol... GREAT CHOICE... that's all I'll use on my King Ranch.

RP

Old 02-02-2003, 05:55 PM
the backs of the seats are vinyl, and i believe the side bolstering pieces are also, so just like what it says,..leather seating surfaces...cheap bastards
i still use leather conditioner on teh whole seat and not vinlyex on 1/2 and leather conditioner on 1/2. it all helps and looks the same

Old 02-02-2003, 06:10 PM
It kind of depends on how old the truck is. On all of them the part that says lariat is leather. If its a early one with headrests, then all the front and rear seat surfaces (not sides or back) are leather. Sometime at the end of 01, they started making only the 3 "seat" inserts of the rear seat leather. If its one of those, the bolster parts of the rear seat surface are vinyl.

On a side note, i was cleaning my front seats today (since mine is a supercab and the back seat is all vinyl) and noticed that i have very small cracks on both of my seat bottoms that are only really noticable when the seat was kinda wet with the cleaner. It actually looked like lint at first, but they are cracks. Oh well, i guess i'll order some seat covers tommorrow and hope the color matches the seat backs.

Old 02-02-2003, 10:48 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks, guys! I appreciate the comments.

I'd like to hear if anyone prefers to use a vinyl dressing on the vinyl surfaces instead of leather conditioner, and what virtues, if any, the vinyl dressing has over leather dressing.

Old 02-02-2003, 11:47 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
All Leather in mine... Love the KR!!

RP

Quick Reply: Lariat seating: What part is leather...and what ISN'T ???