Measurements for aiming headlights

Old 04-27-2019, 12:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Measurements for aiming headlights

Just installed Anzo headlights and crystallux fog lights on my 2016 f150 with a leveling kit. Wondering if anyone has the specs for aiming the lights properly?
thanks.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:50 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
There's a ton of stuff on the Internet...

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/r/...ust-headlights

I recommend doing it early morning or dusk for optimal results. Or in a shop that has enough room with the lights turned off.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:19 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Another approach, that I've used if you have no garage or place with enough room is to take the vehicle out to a straight, level country road and simply aim the headlights so they illuminate YOUR lane properly. It's easy to tell if too much light is going into the oncoming lane this way and it's also easy to tell if the lights are aimed too high or too low. Personally, I think I get better results doing it this way than trying to aim them using marks on a wall.

- Jack

Old 04-28-2019, 08:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No matter which of the methods you use from above (both are good), here's a little tip for final aiming to get both headlights at the exact same level. Park the truck on level ground where you can stand about 30-40 feet in front of the truck. Now, center yourself between the headlights looking at the truck. Slowly bend down while looking at the headlights. At some point they will all of a sudden seem to get brighter. That's because you have reached the cutoff line in the pattern. If one headlight seems to get brighter before the other, it is aimed higher. Adjust the headlights so the cutoff is the same on both sides.

Old 10-22-2019, 04:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aiming LED headlights In my 07 XLT

When I aim my newly installed LED headlights, I am seeing 2 bright spots per headlight, one higher than the other. The brighter bigger spot is below the smaller one. I have looked up and used several aiming tricks, from measuring the center of the lamp to the ground, then backing up 25 feet, and putting the brighter spot 2" lower than the original line. Should I put the smaller spot 2" below the line?
I also did the Bambi mod so the high beams would not turn on when the fog lights were turned on, (still stock bulbs there), and suddenly "ruined" the battery and had to get a new one last night. I loved the way it worked, but hooked it back to normal in fear of ruining another battery.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-28-2019, 07:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Todd C. Andrews
When I aim my newly installed LED headlights, I am seeing 2 bright spots per headlight, one higher than the other. The brighter bigger spot is below the smaller one. I have looked up and used several aiming tricks, from measuring the center of the lamp to the ground, then backing up 25 feet, and putting the brighter spot 2" lower than the original line. Should I put the smaller spot 2" below the line?
I also did the Bambi mod so the high beams would not turn on when the fog lights were turned on, (still stock bulbs there), and suddenly "ruined" the battery and had to get a new one last night. I loved the way it worked, but hooked it back to normal in fear of ruining another battery.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
What you are seeing are commonly called "hot spots" and unfortunately, they're a very common side effect of attempting to run LED "drop in" bulbs in headlight housings designed for halogen bulbs. The root cause is the side firing LEDs attempting to replace the 360 degree "orb of light" produced by a halogen filament. Nothing you can do - no matter what the LED Marketing guys tell you - will solve that problem. So you end up with a sub-standard light pattern and also generally end up with a good deal of glare for oncoming drivers. Not a good situation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Measurements for aiming headlights