LED Tail Light Flash Problem (RECON) on 2014 XLT

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED Tail Light Flash Problem (RECON) on 2014 XLT

I just installed new Recon tail light assemblies in my '14 XLT and everything went smooth until the next day when the passenger side turn signals started flashing faster than the driver side. A friend suggested disconnecting and reconnecting the the battery to clear it and that worked until the next day and I was right back to the passenger side fast flash. This does not happen in four-way mode. The flash speed does not render the turn signal unusable but it would be nice to have both either slow or fast.
I have read numerous fixes on this problem here and on other boards but I thought maybe someone here was familiar with the Recons and might have some other suggestions.
Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The problem is called "hyper-flash" and is caused by the truck's computer misreading the lower resistance of the LED tail lights as a blown incandescent bulb. It's actually a designed in "feature" to inform you that you have a blown bulb - if you have OEM incandescent bulbs.

The fix is either to add an in-line resistor to both lights or to change your flasher unit over to one that doesn't mind LEDs such as an EP27.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2stroked
The problem is called "hyper-flash" and is caused by the truck's computer misreading the lower resistance of the LED tail lights as a blown incandescent bulb. It's actually a designed in "feature" to inform you that you have a blown bulb - if you have OEM incandescent bulbs. The fix is either to add an in-line resistor to both lights or to change your flasher unit over to one that doesn't mind LEDs such as an EP27.
Thanks for your response. Although I was aware of the causes you mentioned, I thought there might be something else I missed. From what I have read, the Recons are supposed to be "Plug and Play". So much for that being the case.
From what I have been able to find, the flasher fix is the way to go although I have seen conflicting info on whether or not it is compatible with my 2014. I need to check that out further.
Thanks again!