2016 f150 daytime running lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 f150 daytime running lights

I saw online there was a way to turn off the daytime LEDs but for some reason the lariat I bought doesn't have the option on the in dash display. Probably a lost cause but is there a way around this and to turn them off. I feel like I bought the only truck produced that doesn't have this option lol.

Thanks in advance for help

Old 06-25-2017, 03:16 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm puzzled; why would you want to turn them off? I'm not being contrary, and I honestly respect your opinions, but I think they are a good safety feature that warns oncoming vehicles that you are there and maybe they should think twice before they try to pass that slow-mover in front of them.

I believe this so strongly, that I had my ECM in my 2014 truck flashed at the dealership to turn them ON, since by design they are only activated on police vehicles.

Again, I'm only curious and not trying to start arguments or a flame war. Could you share your reasoning with us?

- Jack

Old 06-27-2017, 09:28 PM
Ya no problem, the truck has some amazing led lights in front, namely the surround parking lights I think look awesome driving down the road, look like the 17 F250's almost. If someone misses me in my new truck it's not because of missing daytime running lamps, it's because they just weren't looking...

Name:  20170521_160503.jpg
Views: 2820
Size:  274.5 KB

Old 06-27-2017, 09:48 PM
Global Moderator &

It's a pretty truck, man! Now it sounds like you like the look of the surround DRLs? Or, am I missing something - which is easy to do at my advanced age.

I've noticed when it's hazy out, that vehicles don't always show up real well coming down the road at me. At these times, I appreciate it if they have DRLs.

- Jack

Old 06-27-2017, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
It's a pretty truck, man! Now it sounds like you like the look of the surround DRLs? Or, am I missing something - which is easy to do at my advanced age.

I've noticed when it's hazy out, that vehicles don't always show up real well coming down the road at me. At these times, I appreciate it if they have DRLs.

- Jack
I do like the surrounds, the daytimes I do not. If it was like the new f250s I would be tickled pink.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:42 AM
Global Moderator &

I think I FINALLY understand! Your truck is showing both a "surround" style DRL and another one - together. I can understand why you'd like to have only the surround DRL on.

You might ask at your dealership about this. They may be able to flash your ECM to turn the ones you don't want to the "off" state.

I'm guessing the surround DRLs are an option in your model year.

- Jack

Old 06-28-2017, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
I think I FINALLY understand! Your truck is showing both a "surround" style DRL and another one - together. I can understand why you'd like to have only the surround DRL on.

You might ask at your dealership about this. They may be able to flash your ECM to turn the ones you don't want to the "off" state.

I'm guessing the surround DRLs are an option in your model year.

- Jack
The surround isn't actually the DRL, it's a lower brightness version of the actual headlight. The surround is an accent light as well as flashes she the turn signal is initiated.

I should take a better photo but I am out of town working, here is a night photo that shows the surrounds on with the headlight. During the day when the truck is put into gear the DRL will come on.

Name:  20170625_215127.jpg
Views: 3654
Size:  264.7 KB

Old 06-29-2017, 08:56 AM
Global Moderator &

OK, I still think the dealership can probably flash your ECM to turn the DRLs off. The cost to turn mine ON was about $50. YMMV.

- Jack