2013 FX4 w/Factory HID headlights, flickering/not working,

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 FX4 w/Factory HID headlights, flickering/not working,

Alright guys, I have done some research and know that there is a known problem with the 2013 Factory HID's flickering and etc, basically comes down to a poor design(not by Ford). My problems started last night, I took a trip to Va. earlier this week and all the lights worked great with no issues at all until last night. We ate dinner and we got back in the truck, cranked the truck and then turned on the lights and the passenger side flicker for what seemed like 2-3 seconds and lever lit up at all, I got out and checked the headlight assembly and the directional signal was lit up and functioned as normal. So we get up this morning to head home, cranked the truck up and let it warm up a bit and turned on the lights, no flicker, no nothing. I arrived home about 3hrs ago, I removed the headlight assembly from the truck to check all of the wiring and the connections to the headlight assembly and all is good, no broken/pinched wiring, no corrosion on the pins nor on the connector. It this point it is 38 degrees outside with a 22 mph wind, I put it all back together and came back inside for the time being. Does anyone have any solution to the problem or in the end will this result in a conversion or another set of HID lights?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
More than likely just a bad ballast. If it was a bulb it wouldn't try lighting at all. But if you want to trouble shoot first then swap the bulbs with each other and see if the problem stays on the same side or moves with the bulb. If it doesn't move then it's the ballast. (As long as you have 12v going to the ballast). You can order ballasts from Ford but I'll be expensive. You can get OEM ballasts from theretrofitsource.com for cheaper. And if you PM me I might be able to save you some more money from TRS.