New LED headlights came in today

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 04:06 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey that's what happens when you install the wrong lights. I bet the guy behind you had some cheap light kit that scattered light all over, was not adjustable and he probably never adjusted his headlights after replacing the bulbs like he's supposed to.

It's guys like that, that give those of us who install them correctly, a bad name.

I'm not saying it's 100% correct to put LED's or even HID's in a halogen housing, but if you compare my truck to THAT guys truck, I guarantee you'd never be able to tell my lights were not OEM.

I'm actually going to be taking test shots of my truck side by side with a 2015 with OEM LED's. My XLT and my friends Platinum.

That'll really show you guys the difference and how there is no "glare".

I'm with you btw, i don't like when people have the wrong lights and BLIND me, it's rude. But not all lights are made the same.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4TruckLEDs
Hey that's what happens when you install the wrong lights. I bet the guy behind you had some cheap light kit that scattered light all over, was not adjustable and he probably never adjusted his headlights after replacing the bulbs like he's supposed to.

It's guys like that, that give those of us who install them correctly, a bad name.

I'm not saying it's 100% correct to put LED's or even HID's in a halogen housing, but if you compare my truck to THAT guys truck, I guarantee you'd never be able to tell my lights were not OEM.

I'm actually going to be taking test shots of my truck side by side with a 2015 with OEM LED's. My XLT and my friends Platinum.

That'll really show you guys the difference and how there is no "glare".

I'm with you btw, i don't like when people have the wrong lights and BLIND me, it's rude. But not all lights are made the same.
Would you mind, or have any interest in doing a wall test with your truck? One of your LEDs in on side and a halogen in the other? I think that'll really help show how focused the beam pattern is and if yours truly are better then the rest, it'll show.

Kind of like this pic I posted before:

Old 04-06-2016, 04:18 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
Would you mind, or have any interest in doing a wall test with your truck? One of your LEDs in on side and a halogen in the other? I think that'll really help show how focused the beam pattern is and if yours truly are better then the rest, it'll show.

Kind of like this pic I posted before:
[IMG]
Agreed. And I will second the request kindly

Old 04-06-2016, 04:44 PM
Former Sponsor
Sure... I have a 2015 so it takes a bit to swap bulbs out. I have to take the entire headlight housing out. Now i've done this so many times I'm actually really good at it... but give me a few days (or maybe this weekend) to do it. As it's cold out now and I'm getting over a bad cold, so the last thing I want to do is be outside at night in the cold swapping out my lights (again, i've done this about a dozen times now)

I have a nice brick wall near me I can test this on but I'll do it for you guys.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
PnP kits specifically don't meet federal regulations on "dazzling" or "glaring" light output

Some people will argue that even retrofits are illegal.

Retrofits are only illegal because they were modified after DOT certification, and in theory would need to be recertified to become legal for road use.
And I think it's important to note that a correctly built set of retrofit HIDs - although technically illegal because the OEM unit has been modified - would easily pass if tested. The pnp HID and LED bulbs would never pass.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:00 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by 2stroked
And I think it's important to note that a correctly built set of retrofit HIDs - although technically illegal because the OEM unit has been modified - would easily pass if tested. The pnp HID and LED bulbs would never pass.
Correct.

And the likelihood of being harassed on the road for a quality retrofit is very slim too

Old 04-07-2016, 10:06 AM
Sure... I have a 2015 so it takes a bit to swap bulbs out. I have to take the entire headlight housing out. Now i've done this so many times I'm actually really good at it... but give me a few days (or maybe this weekend) to do it. As it's cold out now and I'm getting over a bad cold, so the last thing I want to do is be outside at night in the cold swapping out my lights (again, i've done this about a dozen times now)

I have a nice brick wall near me I can test this on but I'll do it for you guys.
Thanks. If it looks good I may buy a set. Reviews online and pictures (and some I've seen in person) to date the LED drop in kits aren't great. My biggest issue is the "glare" mentioned and secondly they aren't focused. If you look at the OEM halogen you can clearly see where the light is focused(single hot spots aimed straight ahead) for each light. In a drop in LED setup, the light is more uniform everywhere with multiple hot spots. This would imply that light is scattered everywhere, and that the halogen(even with less lumen output), would allow you to see better down the road because the light is focused ahead. That is the whole point of the OEM reflector housing, taking all the lumens of that halogen and pointing it down the road in one spot.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:31 PM
Former Sponsor
I have not had any issues with glare or light going EVERYWHERE in my 2015 and from those with 2014 and earlier trucks, they havn't had issues either blinding people.

I am able to see MUCH BETTER with the Headlight LED's from my site as well.

I havn't had a single customer complain yet... and if they did complain, I'd refund their money.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:04 PM
I'd like to see a wall shot too 20-30 ft away.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:41 PM

I hope you get to feeling better. I hate being sick. Are you going to have to swap out both headlights or just one?

Old 04-07-2016, 08:52 PM
Former Sponsor
Just one... it's actually working out for me because I have a home-made boot on one of the lights that I put in during my trial phase, never removed it. So now I can put the proper boot on.

So I'll have one side LED for highs/lows and the other side will be the stock halogen for high/low

Old 04-07-2016, 09:06 PM
Just one... it's actually working out for me because I have a home-made boot on one of the lights that I put in during my trial phase, never removed it. So now I can put the proper boot on.

So I'll have one side LED for highs/lows and the other side will be the stock halogen for high/low
Sounds like the 15's lights are a little more difficult to get out than the prior years.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:20 PM
Former Sponsor
Yeah the 15/16 are not fun at all. I mean once you do it once, it's actually pretty easy, but yeah it IS a process.

Sorry I fell asleep tonight, i'll try for tomorrow to get those photos for you guys.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:19 PM
Former Sponsor
Yeahhh it's raining out today guys, no photo shoot today, sorry. Maybe tomorrow (if it doesn't snow, seriously they are calling for snow here in NY and it's April).

If I don't do it this weekend I'll do it one day during the week. I want to actually take photos of the Halogen only in both lights, then a halogen + led on opposite lights, then LED only to give you some various examples.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:28 AM

Any luck with the photo shoot?

Quick Reply: New LED headlights came in today