Upgrading 2014 Headlights to OEM HID and need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 03:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know I had to repin my H13 plug. The lows would turn on but the highs wouldn't do anything. All depends on if it's pinned for a negative or positive switching system. F150 are negative switching. I know I had to swap the white and blue on mine.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I measured the voltage from the factory H13. Here is it. I do not know what the pinout is for the Motocontrol though. Any ideas?
OEM H13

So which of these wires is which?

Old 03-07-2016, 05:46 PM
On mine the blue and white are switched.. I had to switch them to get mine to work.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:48 PM
So your blue is in the middle?

Old 03-07-2016, 05:52 PM
Yes sir. Sending you pictures right now

Old 03-07-2016, 07:50 PM
For posterity. I depinned the H13 in pic 2 and swapped the blue, white, and brown around in varying patterns. The high been solendoids activated when the lights came on or when high beams engaged but no joy on the lights. No buzzing from the ballasts. Storms coming and customer showed up, packed it in for the day.

Tomorrow I will measure for +12 to the ballasts.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:52 PM
I got out and tested the power to the ballasts. This is what I found.

Both reds here are hot when using highs and low beams accordingly.

The middle wire here on the ballast plug is ground and the others are hot depending on if the high beams are on. When plugged into the ballasts there is no humming, nothing. Not even a flicker of the lights.

Looks like it's the ballasts and I am going to need a new H13 plug for the harness. The black one that plugs into the OEM headlight plug from the halogen housing. Removing those pins so many times has the blue one not staying in place now.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:25 PM
I got my new harness and ballasts in the mail today and will be installing them tomorrow. I can already see a difference in the harness. This plug here is red(1), black(2), red(3), black(4) and the new harness has 3 reds(1,2,3) and a black(4). I will replace the harness first, test, and then the ballasts if needed.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:13 PM
This project has been an expensive semi-nightmare. But, it is finally finished.

I bought a new Morimoto harness off eBay. I bought 2 brand new Ford Ballasts. I replace the harness first to eliminate any wiring issues. Ni lights. High beam solenoid actuates and all the other lights work, just no HID's.

Next I replaced 1 ballast. Bam. Got lights. I pulled the new harness and put the old one back in, still works. Problem was the ballasts. They are either the wrong ones or bad. I do hear the whine of the ballasts now with the new ones. The used ones are completely silent.

On a more positive note, I love the HID's. The bulbs don't match the color of the Fogs but they are close enough. It's not dark yet so I can't check the aim on them but they look fantastic.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:33 PM
I will be keeping the extra harness and relay. In my research I have found quite a few threads where people have had to have them replaced under warranty because they went out. If that happens I will have a backup to use until the replacement gets here.

I know alot of folks have had good experiences with The Retrofit Source, I have seen the many threads. I am happy for them. It just wasn't the case for me and that sucks. But, it is what it is. My lights work now and I am on to my 32" light bar tomorrow and that has me stoked.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:36 PM
Can I see at night now? You bet your *** I can see at night now. lol. I must say I absolutely love the color of these bulbs from TRS. They are really just the perfect temperature. I pulled up next to a guy in a Chevy with drop in HID bulbs (had to be 8-10k) and you couldn't even see his light on the ground over mine. Other than the ballast issue, very pleased with the lights and equipment.

Cutoff sitting in the driveway:

Shots on the street with fogs and HID's:

About 25 ft from the only wall near me lol.

High beams:

Old 03-18-2016, 11:37 PM
Putting my 32" LED bar behind the grill tomorrow. I should have even more light with that.

Old 07-02-2016, 12:45 PM
Ok, my faith in the TRS relay harness is declining. Friday morning, very early, I was in Whataburger's drive through with a car in front of me so I killed my headlights as is my custom so as not to blind the person in front. Upon leaving the line and heading on to work which was thankfully less than a mile away at this point, my headlights would not come back on. I could hear the solenoid when I hit the high beams but no lights. Thankfully I still had my fogs and light bar (although very bright) to light my way to work.

I woke up this morning and tested them while I worked on my daughters car. No lights, at all. Thankfully I had my 2nd new harness I had bought and kept just in case. I swapped the control relay and they work now. This shakes my confidence in the TRS harness enough that I don't know if I want to try and return it for a new one or tear into it and build a better mousetrap. Can I return just the control module?

Old 07-02-2016, 01:13 PM
I sent TRS a message through their site. I will update with the outcome.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:54 PM
No you can't just return the control module they'll have you take a pictures of the wires cut once you get a new one. I only had one bad and that was my fault because of not mounting it securely and it vibrating and busting the pins.

Quick Reply: Upgrading 2014 Headlights to OEM HID and need help