09-14 HID Retrofit Question - F150online Forums

Go Back  F150online Forums > Body > Illumination & Lighting
09-14 HID Retrofit Question >

09-14 HID Retrofit Question

Illumination & Lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09-14 HID Retrofit Question

 
  #1  
Old 02-11-2015, 09:28 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mesquite
Posts: 2,077
09-14 HID Retrofit Question

I canít seem to find anyone who does 09-14 HID retrofits so I decided to do them myself. I was going to buy a pre-built kit from TRS but I want to PTM them in Tuxedo Black. I already have all the paint and the housings so I need to order the kit.

I went to TRS and I think the only thing I am not clear on is what size projector I need. I am guessing Large since the housing is so large? if you have done these please let me know what parts you bought and if you are happy with them. Also, if anyone has these in a 09-14 or knows of a how-to specifically for the 09-14 please let me know. I have searched but the keywords bring up so many matches its depressing. I know where the 04-08 how to is and I have already gone through it. I was just hoping for one specifically for the 09-14.
 
  #2  
Old 02-11-2015, 09:35 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 10,390
Originally Posted by Blue150 View Post
I can’t seem to find anyone who does 09-14 HID retrofits so I decided to do them myself. I was going to buy a pre-built kit from TRS but I want to PTM them in Tuxedo Black. I already have all the paint and the housings so I need to order the kit.

I went to TRS and I think the only thing I am not clear on is what size projector I need. I am guessing Large since the housing is so large? if you have done these please let me know what parts you bought and if you are happy with them. Also, if anyone has these in a 09-14 or knows of a how-to specifically for the 09-14 please let me know. I have searched but the keywords bring up so many matches its depressing. I know where the 04-08 how to is and I have already gone through it. I was just hoping for one specifically for the 09-14.
Oye.

Several folks do them: Tuxedoblack11, Sammy, Bilinvic, etc. And e'en our very own Larry-At!

Contact info fer them retry-fitters be in here: https://www.f150online.com/forums/il...ml#post5129861

Use an EVOX-R, Rx-350, FX-R, or even a Mini-D2S - they will all fit. I personally would not use a Mini-H1 6.0 unless you really wanted entry-level performance and ease of install. What you want & need is a very LARGE shroud. Like a Panamera, or later rev Apollos.

Most How-to's fer this gen are on the 'other' site.

Here's how ye open them: http://www.f150forum.com/f38/f150-he...-4-min-240983/

More: http://www.f150forum.com/f83/2012-f1...stions-232138/

http://www.f150forum.com/f38/black-c...-6-0-a-241288/


Ol' Bubber - Th' Friendly Clown
 

Last edited by MGDfan; 02-11-2015 at 09:40 AM.
  #3  
Old 02-11-2015, 09:36 AM
MCDavis's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: RVA
Posts: 92
How hard did you search? Here's a very reputable source for retrofits:
http://www.raptorretrofit.com/2014-f150-oem-hid-s/

If you're using OEM HID housings you'll need the following:
Hella EvoX-R 3" projector with clear lens.
D2S bulb of choice (XBs, OSRAMs, Philips...whatever suits your fancy and budget)
35w or 50w XB ballasts (or spend coin on the factory Denso takeoffs)
Most people do AMP ballasts and a AMP to D2S connector so that you don't have to connect the ballast directly to the bulb, but that's your own path to chart. AMP to D2S makes the wiring much easier.
Lastly you'll need a H13 to 9008 wiring harness

If you're using halogen buckets then your options are damn near endless...pick a projector and shroud of your liking and then get to business.
 
  #4  
Old 02-11-2015, 09:38 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mesquite
Posts: 2,077
Oh wow, thanks man. I guess I need to git-over-thar and register! lol. I will take a look at them. Thanks to canceling my cold air intake before it shipped I can now afford to do the HID retrofit! Hahaha!!
 
  #5  
Old 02-11-2015, 09:39 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mesquite
Posts: 2,077
I searched this site. I have always come here for all my F150 questions albeit I was gone for awhile. I cam back once I got my 14 and apparently this place has gone down in activity as most links you guys are posting are off-site.
 
  #6  
Old 02-11-2015, 09:43 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 10,390
Originally Posted by Blue150 View Post
I searched this site. I have always come here for all my F150 questions albeit I was gone for awhile. I cam back once I got my 14 and apparently this place has gone down in activity as most links you guys are posting are off-site.
Same owners though - so you ain't really defectin' 'er cheatin'


Ol' Bubber - Th' Friendly Clown
 
  #7  
Old 02-11-2015, 09:45 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mesquite
Posts: 2,077
Originally Posted by MCDavis View Post
How hard did you search? Here's a very reputable source for retrofits:
http://www.raptorretrofit.com/2014-f150-oem-hid-s/

If you're using OEM HID housings you'll need the following:
Hella EvoX-R 3" projector with clear lens.
D2S bulb of choice (XBs, OSRAMs, Philips...whatever suits your fancy and budget)
35w or 50w XB ballasts (or spend coin on the factory Denso takeoffs)
Most people do AMP ballasts and a AMP to D2S connector so that you don't have to connect the ballast directly to the bulb, but that's your own path to chart. AMP to D2S makes the wiring much easier.
Lastly you'll need a H13 to 9008 wiring harness

If you're using halogen buckets then your options are damn near endless...pick a projector and shroud of your liking and then get to business.
Thank you. I did find the Raptorretrofit site as well as a couple of others that use the factory HID housing but I really want to do my own since its less expensive. I have 2 sets of brand new headlights so when it comes times for safety inspections I can change them out. A pain yes but for the cost savings, I will endure it.
 
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 09-14 HID Retrofit Question


Sponsors

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: