Rigid Industries or Similar LED Light Bar Under Grille

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rigid Industries or Similar LED Light Bar Under Grille

Has anyone tried mounting a LED light bar in the opening under the grille? I understand this might impede some air flow to the radiator.

I would like to have auxiliary lighting for off road use, and I'm not a big fan of huge KC round style lighting.

I hear Rigid Industries is the best, but are there other MFGs that make nice stuff for less money?

Thanks for any help!

Old 01-07-2014, 03:59 PM

Do you mean the gap in the bumper?

Lakemarykid, ibf150's buddies in his pics, and a few others have a bar down there in 04-08s

I have 4 eBay LED pods that are 1 1/2 years old and holding up fine. Phattacorider has a few eBay light bars that he's been happy with as well! RIGID is the best, but costs twice as much (or more) as others. Texaslibertyled.com and plashlights.com sell some too. Those may not be the exact URLs, but they're close.

Last edited by KMAC0694; 01-07-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:44 PM
I installed a Zeus pro off road 17" 10w cree leds with a total 100w in spot and in the bumper opening and it is made in China and sold by an American co. called Olympus Off Road. It has held up with no problems and even a lifetime warranty.

Last edited by grouseridge; 01-15-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by grouseridge
I installed a Zeus pro off road 17" 10w cree leds with a total 100w in spot and in the bumper opening and it is made in China and sold by an American co. called Olympus Off Road. It has held up with no problems and even a lifetime warranty.
Hell yeah! Looks nice.

Here is the one I am looking at, but haven't pulled the trigger yet:

Name:  _3.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  58.5 KB

I can get one for about $100 shipped, but I will have to do some cutting on the bumper opening to make it fit, or I would have to build a bracket that would make it extrude an inch or two out of the bumper because of the depth of the light bar housing.

My buddy has a chinese light bar on his baja bug and he torchers that thing harder than anyone I have ever seen.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:31 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by USMC_CQB
Hell yeah! Looks nice.

I can get one for about $100 shipped, but I will have to do some cutting on the bumper opening to make it fit, or I would have to build a bracket that would make it extrude an inch or two out of the bumper because of the depth of the light bar housing.

My buddy has a chinese light bar on his baja bug and he torchers that thing harder than anyone I have ever seen.
Rigid is not the best ....

This > http://www.theretrofitsource.com/off...trsdefaultview

You can spend more and still not touch the quality of that unit. Let alone their service and customer support.

/thread

MGD

Old 01-20-2014, 12:44 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Rigid is not the best ....

This > http://www.theretrofitsource.com/off...trsdefaultview

You can spend more and still not touch the quality of that unit. Let alone their service and customer support.

/thread

MGD
I haven't seen anyone official run these lights yet, and I can't seem to find any in depth testing or reviews... How can you say these are better than Rigid when they've only been out a year and Rigid has been out since 2008?

Old 01-20-2014, 01:43 PM

Trending Topics

Old 01-20-2014, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by ak_cowboy
I haven't seen anyone official run these lights yet, and I can't seem to find any in depth testing or reviews... How can you say these are better than Rigid when they've only been out a year and Rigid has been out since 2008?
^^^ Are you serious? WTFF does that have to do with quality?

RECON junk has been out fer years - and their stuff is still junk

Sphincter (OK - Spectre, lol)) has been out for years - and it is junk

Volant - junk

K&N - junk

STP - junk

Seafoam - dangerous junk

DDM - idiotic junk

Spyder - ugly junk

Fartmaster - laughable junk

Turtle Wax - useless junk

Jet Performance - don't even get me started ...

And the standard-bearer, KING SNAKE of JUNK - J. C. Whitney - has been in existence fer like forever. And... yep, you guessed it - they STILL peddle garbage - successfully - to fools.

....Need I go on? Time on-market means nothing. Zip. Nada. Bupkis. SFA.

Folks are buying JUNK from a plethora of Chicago Counters as we speak, due to either peer pressure (the Lemming Effect), an alleged 'quality' trade-name, price constraints, the "as-seen-on-TV" Marketing trick, poor-to-no research, impulse, impetuosity, the "I want-it-NOW" Millennial mindset, or just plain Marketing Maskirovka and/or Brilliance.

I'm basing this upon TRS's impeccable track record to-date, for virtually everything they release. They would not present anything like this if it wasn't superb. Time will tell, but I'm confident in their ability to execute.

Those jokers making chinglish bars routinely use the CREE moniker to infer quality. Fact is, if the entire design - from the reflector, the sealing, the electronics, the cooling, the QA, etc isn't well-executed with high quality materials, components and attention to detail,, the end-product is going to be unreliable crap. You can indeed put a quality LED device in a product - but the end result is going to be only as good as it's weakest/least reliable/poorest quality component.

It's an age-old trick. And it works, too - Very Effectively. Which is why it is still common. Remember the Chrysler Cordoba - "Fine Corinthian Leather", Ricardo croons ... LMFAO @ that spectacular POS!

Betcha there is more cheap plastic and mild steel in a Rigid bar. There certainly is in the cheap crap you are looking to buy.. There is none in a TRS one. And TRS will be around to back it up.

MGD out.

Last edited by MGDfan; 01-20-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:01 PM
Betcha there is more cheap plastic and mild steel in a Rigid bar. There certainly is in the cheap crap you are looking to buy.. There is none in a TRS one. And TRS will be around to back it up.

MGD out.

blah blah blah. Still never saw anywhere that has a review.... a
Awfully hard to talk about the quality of a product that isn't available for sale yet... And what "Cheap Crap" am I looking at buying? I never said I was going to buy a light bar, from anyone...

What happened to the first run of LED bars that suddenly became "unavailable" ? Top quality stuff to sell for a couple months and then yank off the shelves for no reason...

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...ght-bars/page8
Quote Originally Posted by TRSAndrew View Post
X.BAR is temporarily unavailable, so the category is turned off currently
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...LED-Bars/page4
TRS_Andrew. Feb 1 is release date tentatively.
Glad you could support your talking points with well thought out facts. Though I certainly value your opinion, for all that I paid for it...

Old 01-20-2014, 07:57 PM
To AK_Cowboy:

I'm sorry. I Apologize fer my outburst - I was outta line.

I retract everything I've said.

MGD

Old 01-21-2014, 12:18 AM

I just saw those X bars earlier today, never seen em prior, and they don't go back on sale until Feb.1. I would be interested in seeing how well those do and last once some people try them out.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:30 AM
To AK_Cowboy:

I'm sorry. I Apologize fer my outburst - I was outta line.

I retract everything I've said.

MGD
No worries Mate

Old 01-21-2014, 10:26 AM

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...0-163144-1.jpg
https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...0-162916-1.jpg

Installed the 30" pro series in spot from Snevey's Off Road and this made a nice addition to the Zeus 17". With both lights in spot they still even light the trees up on country roads.
Both of these lights where less than a 20 e series at map. They came from U.S. small businesses and these products are made in China.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by USMC_CQB
Hell yeah! Looks nice.

The main thing is to stay with a cree led and poly/lexan lens and a minimum ip67 rating for water tightness.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
I just saw those X bars earlier today, never seen em prior, and they don't go back on sale until Feb.1. I would be interested in seeing how well those do and last once some people try them out.
I'll get you guys a link to the thread where someone is doing a comparison with other bars, once they come out

Quick Reply: Rigid Industries or Similar LED Light Bar Under Grille