Let the Retrofitting Begin!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let the Retrofitting Begin!!

So after reading many posts on several forums and getting some guidance from fellow members here, I think I have decided to go down the road of retrofitting...well...kinda. I already have the 2013 stock HID heads, but want better output. When I originally bought the vehicle a little over a month ago, I was so impressed with the output of the stock HIDs over that of my previous halogens, that I never would have thought about needing anything more. But after a few trips out to the country, I realized that for 1.) Turning sharp corners in pitch black is no fun. In this sense, these heads might actually be worse than the old halogens. 2.) After reading other posts, I can have far better performance and 3.) I think it could be a fun project to upgrade these bad boys.

So, with that said, I have never done a retrofit and I'm certainly nervous about cracking open $1000 + head lights. I would certainly appreciate help along the way from people who have already gone down this road. I understand I am one of few people that have tried to upgrade the stock HIDs since they are fairly new. I have already read Tuxedoblack11's posts about putting the Evox-r projectors in them since they are the only other direct bolt on projectors that will fit. So I went to his website after being pointed there by MGDfan. He's got a kit on there for specifically what I want to do:

2013 F150 OEM HID Upgrade Kit

Comparing what he has on there, it's pretty similar in price to what I could buy directly from TRS and he has his own adapter plates. So if I get his kit along with the Osram SVS 4300k bulbs, I think it will be $585 total to upgrade.

So, before I commit to this, I need to make sure I know exactly what I am getting into and how to do everything. I'm detail oriented so I want to plan out how to do everything to make sure I'm not lost when it comes time to do it. Like, for example, I've seen write ups by people on here when doing retrofitting and I know a lot of people put the heads in the oven to heat up the seal, but how high is it set and for how long? I would not have wanted to be the person to test that first haha. How are they resealed? And how long should I plan on the install taking from start to finish? I can't be without my truck for even a single day of work, so I will have to take that into consideration.

Anyway...so, from the experts on here, is this kit pretty good? Is there anything else that I should add or think about doing that could be better? Like I said, I'm completely new to this and am reading other posts to get a better understanding, but a majority of the posts I read make it sound easy and maybe take for granted that some people have no idea what they are doing (this guy ). So, let the fun begin!

Old 01-05-2014, 10:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry right at this moment I don't have the time to point out everything so I hope others can chime in, but to swap the Evox-r projector you do not have to take off the lens. You just have to cut the back plastic of the head lights then unbolt old projector and instal new projectors.
Now those plates seem really good for mounting the ballasts and keeping everything inside.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:37 PM
From reading and what I think I understand, I have to buy new ballasts and bulbs as well to make it a true D2S system. I guess it has something to do with changing out the projector and the other stock D3s stuff not working with it. I guess that is the reason for the custom adapter plate as well? If that is not the case, please let me know because that would save me a TON of money. And if I don't have to crack open the heads that would definitely help put my mind at ease. Thanks for the reply lariat!

Old 01-05-2014, 10:49 PM
No you do have to swap to D2S that's what the Evox-r uses.
But if this is anything like the fusion headlights they can be accessed thru dremelling a big hole in the back. and then epoxing the plastic piece back on after the swap is done

Old 01-05-2014, 11:05 PM
Crap!!! I'm wrong. Yes you have to take the front lens off. These projectors mount from the front. sorry to burst your bubble.
Now to bake open permaseal headlights is going to be a pain. You will need to bake them in the oven at 235*f for about ten minutes. you might have to do this a few times to get it open.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:13 PM
Thanks for that lariat. That's what I was afraid of. Oh well, I kind of figured that from the beginning, so it doesn't change my mind...yet. Another post that MGDfan provided for me was http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...etrofit-EVOX-R

While the guy doesn't go into detail on HOW he did everything, I do like the Halos he has on there. I think I will try to do this as well if I'm going to have everything cracked open anyway.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:31 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi.

I hate to say it, but F150forum has a lot more info on this mod.

http://www.f150forum.com/f99/2013-hi...lb-kit-213445/

From this thread: http://www.f150forum.com/f83/2013-oe...id-kit-241343/

Check out their Lighting forum: http://www.f150forum.com/f83/

There is a TON of info there - see the massive Sticky threads on top as well.

I sure hope I don't get busted fer linking to that website

MGD

Old 01-06-2014, 10:05 AM
Thanks MGD. Those links provided a little more info on the project. I now know how long and how high to heat them in the oven to get them open. It doesn't put me at any more ease in doing it, but it does clear up that process.

I also watched some of the TRS videos on doing a complete retrofit. While most of the processes do not apply to me since mine is half of a retrofit, some of it was useful. I am wondering though, in those videos they did not use any additional glue or anything to reseal the headlights. Is that normal? Or should I plan on buying some butyl tape/glue?

I'm thinking about contacting Tuxedoblack11 (I think his name is Joseph) via his store to see if he has any words of wisdom for doing this since I will be buying his kit. I also had a thought about trying to do a swap with him. I know he sells the OEM heads by themselves as well as a package that is already upgraded with what I want to do. Maybe he would consider selling me the upgraded package full price with a refund if I sell him back the stock heads. It would sure make my life easier.

Here is a link to the upgraded stock heads: http://www.projectoretrofits.com/app...s/show/3761369
I'm not sure what he is charging since he only has the $100 down payment listed.

Last edited by il_duce; 01-06-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by il_duce
Thanks MGD. Those links provided a little more info on the project. I now know how long and how high to heat them in the oven to get them open. It doesn't put me at any more ease in doing it, but it does clear up that process.

I also watched some of the TRS videos on doing a complete retrofit. While most of the processes do not apply to me since mine is half of a retrofit, some of it was useful. I am wondering though, in those videos they did not use any additional glue or anything to reseal the headlights. Is that normal? Or should I plan on buying some butyl tape/glue?

I'm thinking about contacting Tuxedoblack11 (I think his name is Joseph) via his store to see if he has any words of wisdom for doing this since I will be buying his kit. I also had a thought about trying to do a swap with him. I know he sells the OEM heads by themselves as well as a package that is already upgraded with what I want to do. Maybe he would consider selling me the upgraded package full price with a refund if I sell him back the stock heads. It would sure make my life easier.

Here is a link to the upgraded stock heads: http://www.projectoretrofits.com/app...s/show/3761369
I'm not sure what he is charging since he only has the $100 down payment listed.
Hi.

Conventional procedure is to completely clean out ALL the old permaseal form the channels in the separated heads, then use the butyl of yer choice - there are several - to reseal.

Yeah - TRS does leave out stuff ( I suppose they take certain aspects fer granted having done thousands, lol) and you occasionally need to fill in those 'blanks' yerself - hence the beauty of forums, etc.

By all means, call up ol' Tux, and even Billnvic, etc fer some advice. There's also a good retrofitter feller on here the name o' Saleen1013 who may offer some additional insight and tips.

MGD

Old 01-06-2014, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the reply again MGD. I have also contacted TRS directly to see if they have an adapter plate that is anything close to what Joseph is offering. From what I understand, that adapter plate may not even be completely necessary. Buying directly from TRS would also be cheaper by about $185, provided I don't need that plate. We'll see what they say.

I also sent Joseph a message via his website asking what he could do for me in terms of selling me the already upgraded heads in exchange for money off when I return my stocks. I have a feeling this might be pretty pricey though.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:56 PM
So I'm SERIOUSLY rethinking this after reading probably 30+ horror stories about the permaseal on these heads. I can't imagine damaging $1000 headlights in the process on top of being without a driveable vehicle for however long it takes to order new ones. So if I want to upgrade, it seems my options are all extremely pricey.

1.) Hope I get a response back from Joseph (tuxedoblack11) on a possible trade plus money for the already upgraded heads. But judging by posts on F150forum, he is 6+ months out on orders, if not longer.

2.) I found another site http://www.raptorretrofit.com/2013-hid-s/ that has the same upgraded heads for around $1700. I could then sell my stock heads after the fact for a decent price.

All in all, I'm looking at close to $1000 to pay someone else for the already upgraded heads. Not the amount of money I'm willing to pay for an upgrade.

If anyone has any pleasant/not horrific/somewhat manageable experiences with permaseal and can put my mind at ease, please share. Otherwise, I think the stock heads are staying. Too bad there isn't a way to swap the projector without cracking these things open. Dangit Ford!!

Old 01-06-2014, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by il_duce
So I'm SERIOUSLY rethinking this after reading probably 30+ horror stories about the permaseal on these heads. I can't imagine damaging $1000 headlights in the process on top of being without a driveable vehicle for however long it takes to order new ones. So if I want to upgrade, it seems my options are all extremely pricey.

1.) Hope I get a response back from Joseph (tuxedoblack11) on a possible trade plus money for the already upgraded heads. But judging by posts on F150forum, he is 6+ months out on orders, if not longer.

2.) I found another site http://www.raptorretrofit.com/2013-hid-s/ that has the same upgraded heads for around $1700. I could then sell my stock heads after the fact for a decent price.

All in all, I'm looking at close to $1000 to pay someone else for the already upgraded heads. Not the amount of money I'm willing to pay for an upgrade.

If anyone has any pleasant/not horrific/somewhat manageable experiences with permaseal and can put my mind at ease, please share. Otherwise, I think the stock heads are staying. Too bad there isn't a way to swap the projector without cracking these things open. Dangit Ford!!
Hi.

Wellsir, all I can offer is my usual mantra concerning forums in general - it's a haven for complainers. Hence, for every 'horror story' you read about, probably 3 times that many have no issues ( being REALLY conservative here ).

I mean - you seldom read fellers posting Success stories ( "Yay! I phookin' open'd me heads wiffout pekkerin' them - dig ME !" )

So - a couple things - go to a scrap yard and buy some damaged heads - 04+ will do. Heck most all late-model Ford heads are the same (all permaseal) - to practice on. Should be cheap if they be cracked, fugly, etc. Think of it as an edumacational investment. A true Hobbyist will NOT be deterred

And then there's always: " Yall got tae crack sum eggs tae make an' omelette

Find all the methods published on here, on F150forum, on HIDplanet and the TRS website, and even Googlin', on how to deal with permaseal. You'll begin to see a pattern.

Take the median / preferred method that YOU are comfortable with, and practice.

It CAN be done - Saleen1013 cracks these things open like I open walnuts ( with me bare hands - I be a hairy ol' Ukie wif Paul Bunyan forearrns ). Same fer all those other folks you mentioned.

Practice, Grasshoppa. Practice ....

Seems a small price to pay, considering how expensive the alternative is these days...

Just food fer thought, buddy. I fully understand and can relate to yer 'Pucker Factor', and will 110% support whatever you decide.

MGD

Old 01-06-2014, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
So - a couple things - go to a scrap yard and buy some damaged heads - 04+ will do. Heck most all late-model Ford heads are the same (all permaseal) - to practice on. Should be cheap if they be cracked, fugly, etc. Think of it as an edumacational investment. A true Hobbyist will NOT be deterred
That is actually a pretty darn good idea MGD. In fact, I actually have the factory heads from my '10 F150 FX2 sitting in my garage as we speak that I could practice with if I had to. I have no other use for them right now other than to possibly sell them for chump change. I may very well practice with if for no other reason than to get an idea of what I'm in for. If I ruin those, no tears will be cried. Seriously, thank you for the advice. Don't know why I didn't think of it

Old 01-06-2014, 05:29 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
I'd recommend picking up some chrome 09+ headlights for cheap. Doing the retros in them and paint them as you wish. And then sell your OEM heads and might just pay for the whole project on the after sell

Old 01-06-2014, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by Patman
I'd recommend picking up some chrome 09+ headlights for cheap. Doing the retros in them and paint them as you wish. And then sell your OEM heads and might just pay for the whole project on the after sell
Patrick - he may wish to retain the OEM 2013 HID look. I know I would. Just sayin'....

MGD

Quick Reply: Let the Retrofitting Begin!!