Retro Solutions vs The Retrofit Source

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Retro Solutions vs The Retrofit Source

Hey guys,

first and foremost i tried searching this section for this subject but either failed to find it or was a big idiot and did it wrong. if any of you veterans know where this is located and would kindly push me in that direction, id greatly appreciate it!

I am getting all the materials need to do my own retrofit of my headlights and was curious if there is a better website to purchase my HID lights from? I plan on doing 50w 5k in the headlights and 35w 5k in the fogs.

I have seen great reviews from both websites but I thought I would ask the gurus at F150online before making my decision!

thank you guys for your time and input!

Old 03-05-2013, 03:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got all my retro fit material from the retrofit source. great people and great customer service.. If you need more info about your retro go to hid planet they have alot of retro gurus over there..

Old 03-05-2013, 04:27 PM
TNT
Old 03-05-2013, 11:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

From my experience I've dealt with both vendors. A lot of hype goes toward TRS, I'm guessing because of their forum, and customer service. I bought after market bulbs from both, high quality and medium quality.
Bulbs
-IMO R-S has better bulbs, when you say you want 5000K your get 5000K.
-TRS my bulbs came bent, and my 5000K looks more like 4300K. And I bought 4 pairs, all are the same. My CBI came perfect.
Projectors
-R-S my FX-R 1.0 came with perfect cutoffs.
-TRS my MH1 4.0, and matchbox had problems with the cutoffs. I got 3 out of 4 good the other one has like a thick fuzzy cutoff no matter what I do. (I thought TRS made sure their projectors were good before sending out).
Halo
-R-S CCFL halos come with a nice clear protective plastic ring to prevent breaking. I had no problems with them. One ballast only lasted 6 months, So I ordered 2 more with no problems now for 1.5 years.
-TRS CCFL halos are just the ring so very fragile. I broke one, it was my fault so I ordered some more. Finished retrofit closed up light, Never tested cause it was from TRS. One halo never turned on the other was very dim. After testing, the ballast was dead out of the box, used my extra R-S ballast and it fired right up. The dim one burnt a few nights later, ballast was good. I ordered more Halo's and ballasts from R-S and never had a problem with them. After I had to redo my retrofit.

So that's my take on the subject. I never tried the customer service at either place. R-S I had 1 burnt ballast after 6 months I just ordered more as I read they blow around 1 year. TRS the cost for shipping to my place is around $35 for bulbs alone so I wasn't going to pay for shipping to send them back. So I took my loss. I don't know if TRS sells bad products or sells bad products out of country as they know chances are they will not ship back.
I also bought my stuff from R-S 1 year ago and bulbs 2.5 years ago so their bulb quality could have dropped as well.
R-S also has 5-10% off with codes, just do a search.

Last edited by powerz69; 03-05-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Never had issues with TRS but I never used RS either....imo

Quick Reply: Retro Solutions vs The Retrofit Source