HID heads not bright.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 01:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID heads not bright.

Okay so I see on pictures and stuff how HIDs are basically lighting up EVERYTHING within distance. But Mine are pretty weak. I heard HIDs are bad to put into spyder projector heads. Is this the case? If so what do you recommend for heads as to keeping my HIDs. they are adjusted so that cant be it. Anyone know? Theyre 8000k's

Old 01-27-2013, 11:52 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1st thing I would start with, is you have too high of a color temp to be of any real use.

Sunlight is at 3500-4000 K, anything above that and you are using a color temperature spectrum that the human eye is not going to pickup on. In other words going to 8000K color temp, you are putting less usable lumen on the road than factory halogen bulbs in factory headlamps. About the same as going with a 400W black light.

The projector lamps you purchased sound like they are not designed to be used with HID systems ( from your comment ), so it seems you have about the same setup as putting HID bulbs in a factory housing, which just makes a glare mess and does not put illumination on the road. You turned them into flood lamps, not focused usable light output.

Why not try a simple test, install a set of Sylvania Silverstar ( or SS ultra ) or similar bulbs in the projectors you have, and see if that cures the symptoms you are seeing.

My opinion ( based on the info in your post ) your symptoms are caused by trying a short cut to HID lamps, which is why doing them correctly with a retro fit projector and the correct color temp bulb and good ballasts is not a cheap project.

You might find out that the projectors you purchased are not that good at creating a focused light output even with a halogen bulb, which is another project in itself. Only a lumen meter would show if this is the case.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
OP, I replied to your PM, but I basically said what SSCULLY did.

Quick Reply: HID heads not bright.