Overhead map lights Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overhead map lights Problems

Hello I am a new owner of a 2008 f150 and new to this site. This is the back of the overhead map lights in my truck. I took it down cause the passenger light seemed to be shorting out. I noticed that alot of the connections which are circled in yellow are not connecting. Does anyone elses look like this? Dont know if i could just solder them back or just try to find the part online. What is this part called?

Old 01-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What were the symptoms for the "shorting out" ? Is it a case of the bulb is loose in the 1/4 turn bulb holder or the bulb element is broken and making intermittent contact ?

Don't think you could get enough heat up there to remove a trace from the PCB, on mine they look like the wire was there for mounting it correctly to the back of the assembly, and then cut out as they were not needed ( i.e. keep the "race track" in place while being mounted )

Mine operates correctly, and has the same missing part of the trace, just pulled it down to confirm.

Back to what are the symptoms.

Last edited by SSCULLY; 01-09-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:28 AM
Thanks for responding. Ok I will take you back to the beginning. I wanted to see how hard it would be to replace map bulbs with led so I pulled down map light console. When I turned one of the bulbs to take it out I noticed that it sparked a little. Didnt think much of it. The next day I went to work and noticed that the low fuel light was on. I went to refuel but the low fuel light would turn off and the fuel guage would move from E. After two days I took it to ford. They had it for 6 days and replaced the fuel sending unit. When I picked it up I noticed that one map light was on and would turn off. So I pulled down the map console and pulled out the bulb to turn it off. I got the same spark and seconds later the low fuel light kicked on and the guage went back to E. I turned around and took it back to ford. The mech said that I blew a fuse and that was why the fuel guage wasnt working again. He replaced fuse and unplugged map lights and the fuel guage is fine now, but I need map lights. So thats why I took a look at back of map lights and noticed some of the connections cut. One connection by the bulb looks a little burnt.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:47 AM
I also noticed that some of the white pegs that hold the metal in place are broken off, maybe thats why its shorting.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:06 AM

The fueling problem is a known issue : TSB 08-2-9, but it sounds like the dealer replaced it under this TSB, when it was just a blown fuse.

You appear to be blowing the fuse from the instrument cluster feed for the PWM_DM_out ( cargo lamps, puddle lamps if you have them and the non interior lamp circuit interior lamps ).

If you are missing the plastic pins that hold everything in place, sounds like that could be the issue ( twisting the lamp holder is making it contact with the ground side of the trace ) and blowing the fuse.

Are you having the issue with a normal interior lamp in the bulb holder ( not the LED ) ?

The only route I see is to layout the traces so they are straight, and liquid electrical tape them in place, and let it cure before reinstalling the overhead console.

Make sure after you do this, if you are changing the bulb, hold the traces around the base.

If the map lamp will not turn off, one of the constant power ( what allows you to turn the map lamps on and off without the key on ) traces is up against the switch trace.

I would try the liquid electrical tape route before spending the money on another overhead console ( bone yard or Ford ).

Old 01-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Yes I agree with you on the tech probably fixing something that wasn't broken. I didn't complain cause it was all covered by warranty. I don't know if the map lights will be covered. But I will try you suggestion. Thanks

Old 01-10-2012, 05:51 PM

warranty ??

Ok, I saw the year and wrote that off as dead.

if you are still under a bumper to bumper warranty, don't mess with it take it in.

also be thankful that you got that TSB ( if applicable to your MY truck ) done, you won't have any issue in the future with it.

might want to make sure you mark down that TSB number on the paper work, and keep it with the truck. Could come in handy some day.

Quick Reply: Overhead map lights Problems