Lighting issues (several)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lighting issues (several)

OK, To start, there are so many mods that people have done to their f150's on here. Many ideas.
Anyway, the issue. I bought my truck in December 2010. It was a FL. DOT truck in its previous life. It still has the strobe kit in it that i am wanting to get rid of. If I take the kit out I have to fill the holes and then am looking at doing the black paint mod I've been reading about on here. Or just order new lights will have to be heads and tails because of the strobes.
So are these aftermarket lights on ebay for 60 to 100 dollars worth it, quality wise? Or hase anyone done the black paint on their headlights that has a white truck? Would that even look good?
Thanks for any info.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:00 AM
i bought the cheap ebay heads. i siliconed the seals up pretty good. no moisture since i sealed them. id be interested in that strobe kit. lol

and black heads on all white trucks look pretty good if you ask me.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Are they Whelen strobes that most FDOTs use? They are a great kit, I've seen them go for
$300+

If you want to plug them, many police retailers sell a 1" rubber boot cover that fills in the hole. It would be cheaper to paint your heads, they are a much better quality than aftermarket

Old 03-21-2011, 12:33 PM
So, from my 2 replies fix and stick with what I have because the ebay crap is well, crap! Gotcha!
As for the strob kit, I thought about selling it the other day so I can use the money to go tward a programmer. When I went to list it on here, I found out I cant unless I have 10+ post and a member for 20 days which I think is a great BTW.

But yes, it is a whelen Competitor csp660 with wiring and lights.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:13 PM
at $300+ im out of this deal. lol i can find much better ways to spend that much money

Old 03-21-2011, 05:24 PM

Well brand new the 6-head 60W system is around $300.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:54 AM
Yeah, it does have 6 ports. It's a nice system but, at 36 I'm still a boy at heart and flipping the switches has been fun especially when I have the wife in the truck. Scares the hell out of her For the most part I just use it to play once in a while and would rather spend the money I can get from selling it on something that would be more usefull.

I was going to put it on craigslist but 2 weeks ago until I found this forum. I'll put it on here when I can and I won't list it as if it was new.

So, Today I am going to start with the left head light. Cleanup the fogged inside of the lens, fill in the hole from the strobe and paint the inside black. See how that works and then tackle the right. I'll post some pics just to show what and how I did it, even though so many others have allready done it.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:49 PM
The other day I removed the right not the left since the right headlight is the most clouded on the inside. I noticed where the hole is drilled for the strobe is cracked all around and would be a huge pain to take on in an evening.
I was on ebay today and bouhgt a set of headlights for 100.00 bucks, This way I can take some time and fix the other ones right and if these I bought from Ipex turn out to be crap I can reinstall my original ones. Next is to get with PHP next week to get set up with a programmer!

Old 03-23-2011, 11:00 PM
after you get your stockers fixed, it might be a good idea to go ahead and take the ebay ones out and post em on the classifieds for somebody in your shoes or needing them for a retrofit project because theres no way there going to hold up as good as oem ones.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:41 AM
Well, I received my new ebay lights last night. Here some pice of before and after. I had a hard time getting the high/low bulb in due to the lips on the case are thicker than the teeth on the bulbs. Had a little trimming to do.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Has anyone painted the inside of their lights white instead of black?

Old 03-31-2011, 12:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There have been a few people who have painted their headlights to match the truck. I think only some colors can pull it of right, however. White being one of them.

Welcome to the forum, btw!

Old 03-31-2011, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by dirtyd88
There have been a few people who have painted their headlights to match the truck. I think only some colors can pull it of right, however. White being one of them.

Welcome to the forum, btw!
I saw a white 2005 SCrew on a dealers lot today with white headlights. I should've taken a picture, it made me do a double take.

Quick Reply: Lighting issues (several)