E350 rear air blower wont switch to ceiling vents

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 rear air blower wont switch to ceiling vents

The rear unit will not switch from floor to ceiling vents. blower works fine, air temp is ok. Trying to figure out if it is a vacuum switch or electric switch that operates a door somewhere. Need to get the ceiling vent operational for warm weather coming. any help is appreciated.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by waterman308
The rear unit will not switch from floor to ceiling vents. blower works fine, air temp is ok. Trying to figure out if it is a vacuum switch or electric switch that operates a door somewhere. Need to get the ceiling vent operational for warm weather coming. any help is appreciated.

sounds like maybe a blend door motor 19E616 here is a pic of a 2003 Expedition. not sure what year E350 you are working on so I did the pic using your truck.

Ed

Old 04-02-2008, 09:23 PM
I've seen that before!

When I fixed the blend door actuator on the03 Ex...

It seems the control selector switch on the front dash gives erratic behavior. Today I tried the AC w/out the rear on. Ac was fine on the dash. then turned on the rear blower and voila! AC coming from the ceiling vents. Then switched blower control to floor, and the air was still coming from the ceiling. Then, shut it all off. Went back to floor, heat only and got the front and rear floor vents fine. Switched to vent and got vents on dash, but no ceiling vents. Still stuck on the floor vent.

Oye. I believe the blower selector switch up front is electric. Maybe the switch is going bonkers. The temp works fine, and the blower always comes on. Just the location is erratic.

Location location location, as they say. So what would cause erratic behaviour of the floor/ceiling selection vents while all blowers and temps are fine?

Thanks so much for taking the time to help. I know its not an F150, but its a Ford. I tell you what, I wish Ihad the V10 in my Expy! Wow does that thing move

Old 04-03-2008, 03:47 AM
What year is it?

Old 04-21-2008, 03:33 PM
found the problem - sort of

BTW it is a 98 ...

took the pannel off and found the diverter door is actuated by a vaccuum motor. Checked the vaccuum and it was fine. Looks like the little canister motor thingy isn't working. I can grab the hinge pin with pliers and manually open the door to allow air to go to the ceiling.

Poblem is the little vac canister is right up against the wheel well or something. Not sure how to get it out. Looks like a small philips screw, but you'd need a might short screw driver. Makes me think the whole unit needs to come out.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:29 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by waterman308
BTW it is a 98 ...

took the pannel off and found the diverter door is actuated by a vaccuum motor. Checked the vaccuum and it was fine. Looks like the little canister motor thingy isn't working. I can grab the hinge pin with pliers and manually open the door to allow air to go to the ceiling.

Poblem is the little vac canister is right up against the wheel well or something. Not sure how to get it out. Looks like a small philips screw, but you'd need a might short screw driver. Makes me think the whole unit needs to come out.

Then I think you need the 18A318

ORDER PART NUMBER 6C2Z18A318BA comes as a assy it looks like.

Ed

Quick Reply: E350 rear air blower wont switch to ceiling vents