'97 F150 A/C clutch meltdown (4.2L)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'97 F150 A/C clutch meltdown (4.2L)

A/C has always been cold. One night I had a bad clutch or bearing sound that went away when the A/C was ON. Two quiet days later a different sound, like an old single cylinder air compressor sucking sound, and the A/C quit blowing cold. When the truck cooled and restarted it was quiet with cold A/C again. Then yesterday, the grinding, bad clutch or bearing sound came back in spades, very very loud, cab stunk of burning clutch, A/C went warm. Got out and regardless of A/C controls, the clutch would turn the compressor about 1/4 or 1/3 turn in jerky motion every half second or so. Drove 20 miles home so I assumed clutch was completely fried. But this morning started it up and despite awful sounds and continuing buring clutch smell, the A/C was cold again.

I know the clutch is shot. And would replace the coil while I was in there. The problem is the sucking sound like an old air compressor makes me think the compressor may be the root cause. But it still can blow very cold?

If I break the lines, I'll replace the compressor. If I can leave the lines intact and tilt the compressor up, I'd rather try replacing the clutch and coil and not having to recover, vacuum, and recharge (which I'd have to have done at the dealer).

First question, any chance of doing this in place? Second, if so do I need to replace the gasket or seal? Third, where and how much should I pay to have my refrigerant recovered and then the system vacuumed and recharged?

Thanks,
Mark Cantrell

Old 06-30-2005, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordered clutch and pulley. Came in today. Turns out the pulley had broken loose from the bearing and was just held in place by the clutch. The clutch, which should have two parts held together by the rubber cushions around the three 'spokes' was also in two parts. The outer part of the pulley fell off when the two parts of the clutch came off. The hub of the pulley and the bearing stayed in the coil. I had to drill some holes in the nub of the hub that stuck out and tap it out with a center punch in those holes.

Everyone I heard from said I should replace the compressor. Man am I glad I didn't. The A/C is cold and quiet again.

Mark

Quick Reply: '97 F150 A/C clutch meltdown (4.2L)