A/C Clutch Cycling...What is Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C Clutch Cycling...What is Normal?

Last summer my a/c wasn't blowing all that cold so I took it to the dealer. They replaced the o-rings, recharged the system and sent me on my way.

Since it was pretty warm today, I ran the a/c and noticed the clutch seems to be engaging for quite a while. The clutch engages and the compressor runs for 30 seconds or so, then will disengage for about 5 seconds, then re-engage for another 30 or so. Is this normal?

Just for reference I checked the wifes car. On my wife's Nissan, the clutch will engage for around 15 seconds and then disengage for around 15 seconds.

How cold will the a/c in these trucks blow? Mine doesn't seem to freeze me out like other vehicles I've owned in the past have done.

So, am I normal or am I off to see the stealer again?

Old 03-26-2004, 02:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
almost impossable to say exactly what is normal. The pressures are different depending on air temp and humidity. Best gauge is to test output temp with thermometer. Should blow in the very low 40's to mid 30's at peak performance. Don't forget that if the truck is warm inside it take a while for the system to cool off all the duct work before it blows as cold as it can. Also, air flow through the condensor will change how cold it will get. I know people that put a thermometer in the duct and leave it there all the time.

Quick Reply: A/C Clutch Cycling...What is Normal?