Foul Smelling AC air...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Foul Smelling AC air...

Has anyone encountered the problem of a foul odor coming from the vents when the AC or the heater is run?

I have a 2001 F150 SuperCab with 39,000 miles. Bought it used about 3 weeks ago.

Now that the air freshener the previous owner had placed in truck has lost its potency, I'm noticing a foul/sour smell when I first run the AC. It disappears after a while but happens again for the first few minutes each time I run the AC. I am noticing that the condenser is draining as there is a wet spot on the road under the passenger seat when the vehicle is parked.

To make matters worse, now that the mornings are a little colder (Minnesota weather) I'm noticing a musty smell when running the heater.

Any ideas?

I bought an extended warranty that covers HVAC components but it doesn't kick in until after 30 days or 1,000 miles.

Thanks!

Old 09-19-2003, 07:30 PM
The drain was not designed very well for the AC inside the truck. You need to turn your air control to vent every time you shut down your truck. This will allow the AC to "air out" and minimize the musky smell.

I have carried mine back to the dealer while it was in warranty and they used a disinfectant aerosol spray to clean the coil. Down in Atlanta I run the AC about 10 monthes out of the year and I only have to deal with the smell problem for about 2 or 3 monthes of the year.

Good luck,
T

Old 09-20-2003, 12:47 AM
Just in case, check the discharge water underneath and make sure that it dosen't have any coolant in it. a weaping heater core can make the A/C and heater smell pretty fowl.

Old 09-28-2003, 12:12 PM
there are also deodorants to help with this problem... some spray in the vents but there are other types that you spray into the air intake on the outside of the truck at the base of the windshield.

I think these work better as they work through the whole length of the HVAC ductwork.

They deodorize and kill the mildew

Quick Reply: Foul Smelling AC air...