Temperature Selector Problems '99 XLT

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 01:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Temperature Selector Problems '99 XLT

Hey guys. I'm having problems with the Temp selector **** on my '99 F-150 XLT. If I turn the **** to change the temp on the HVAC system (manual adjustment, not electronic) the **** "slips" and the temp doesn't change. I've pulled the **** off and it seems to be OK on the back. If I turn the **** really slowly, it will adjust the temp, but it's kind of annoying. Anyone else have this problem or any ideas on fixing it? The truck had an aftermarket AM/FM/CD unit installed just before I bought it last month. Could the installers have messed up something with the adjuster (it's located just below the stereo opening). Thanks in advance. Tracy

Old 05-02-2003, 11:35 AM
Hmmm I have a 99 XLT too and just started having the same problem... of course my A/C is also only blowing warm air too, but thats another problem in and of itself. My adjuste **** looks fine in back too... anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 05-03-2003, 07:04 PM
Make sure that there is not a small thin crack on the inside of that ****.. I have seen this numerous times.

If your **** is good and your problem still persists, then it is probably the switch itself..

Good Luck

FordMasterTech

Old 05-03-2003, 11:05 PM
thanks for the reply. I'll double check the ****. If the switch needs replacing, is it expensive, or a big deal to swap out? Thanks Tracy

Old 05-04-2003, 01:25 PM
I am unsure of the price of the switch. I think it may be about $30 but changing it out is a breeze. just pull the bezel around the radio out and remove the four 7mm or 9/32 screws holding the switch assembly in. Disconnect all the wiring and vacuum harness on the function selector switch and then remove the **** off of the temp switch. Remove the screw holding the switch in place.
That's really about all there is to it as far as the replacement procedure goes,. If you need some more help, let me know.

Good Luck

FordMasterTech

Old 05-04-2003, 01:28 PM
Re: ryanweb

Does your compressor come on at all?
IF so, does it cycle on/off fast?
That will help in narrowing down what your problem may be.

FordMasterTech

Old 05-04-2003, 08:06 PM
well, I double checked the **** today and it had a hairline crack (two actually) in the back of the ****. I swapped it out with the one on the fan selector switch (as that gets used much less often and seems to have less resistance). Anyway, it seems to work fine. Thanks for the help. Tracy

Trending Topics

Old 05-07-2003, 12:19 PM
Re: Compressor

Compressor was coming on for roughly 3 seconds and then cycling on/off. I checked low pressure side and was getting fluctuating psi readings everytime the compressor came on, so I added a can of r134-a and noticed that every time compressor cycled on it was staying on for slightly longer. Decided refrigerant was low...

Now 36 oz of r134a later and the compressor is staying on and A/C is blowing cold air. I suppose I have a leak somewhere, and hopefully this leakstopper refrigerant sealed it. PSI reading on the low end now is showing about 25 with the compressor running. Is this still on the low side?

Any other thoughts or ideas? Thanks MasterTech!!

Old 05-07-2003, 12:45 PM
Question

I have just started havin the same problem with my temperature selector. I have a 98 XLT. What causes this to happen and do these kinds of issues get reported back to Ford?

Thanks!

Old 05-07-2003, 08:35 PM
Ryanweb:

It sounds like your low pressure side is reading in the normal range. What is the high pressure @ normal engine operating temperature and what is the ambient temp (surrounding air temp)?
Probably was low on 134.. But I would not recommend those sealers in a can.. I have heard reports through MOTOR magazine, as well as other manufacturers that strongly disapprove of the method of "sealer in a can"..

FordMasterTech

Old 01-11-2004, 03:13 PM
Question Stiff temp control

Originally posted by triffecpa
well, I double checked the **** today and it had a hairline crack (two actually) in the back of the ****. I swapped it out with the one on the fan selector switch (as that gets used much less often and seems to have less resistance). Anyway, it seems to work fine.
My **** cracked, as well, and I did the same thing with swapping out with the mode selector **** and it works okay - I was just wondering if I was to replace the actual control device(potentiometer for lack of better term) if it would be any less stiff turning - I'm afraid I'm going to crack the other **** as well and I don't want to have to spend $12 each time. Also, is that the going price for those ***** at the dealer? And is $30 a good guess at the potentiometer-like device? I tried lubing it up with some teflon and it didn't loosen up much. It works fine, I guess it's one of those things - do I gamble it won't crack again or will I end up going through more than 2 of those *****...
Thanks!
Jeff

Old 01-29-2004, 08:10 PM
Re: Stiff temp control

My temp control **** has done this exact same thing for over a year on my '98. The **** probably has a crack in it, but I would like to solve the problem which is a tight cable. I've talked to a few dealers, and they said to reinstall a new cable. I haven't even begun to start this project. Once I get the cable moving, it seems to loosen up a little. Either way, it's annoying, and Ford should have done something about this.

Old 01-29-2004, 08:44 PM
Hey Heavy 1287,
It's hard to have a cable problem in the heat/ac panel when everything is either electrically or vacuum operated.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:19 AM
Air Temp

My Problem Is That My Air Changes For Cold To Hot. I Can Hear A Door Close When It Does This. I Can Turn The System Off The Adjust The Temp Selector Back And Forth, Then Turn It Back To Ac And Sometimes It Works Sometimes Not. Also When It Is Blowing Cold, I Cant Adjust The Temp In Ac Mode Or Panel (vent) Mode. Help

Quick Reply: Temperature Selector Problems '99 XLT