Thinking About Upgrading the Stock Radio - Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking About Upgrading the Stock Radio - Opinions

I was at Best Buy today picking up a couple new release dvds and decided to take a look at the car audio section. There was a geek squad guy there who asked if he could help and he gave me a lot more information than I was looking for or expecting (which was a good thing).
Just curious if all of the following expenses would be the same at most any car stereo shop as this is all relatively greek to me.
FWIW, I have a 2007 Screw with the 6 disc changer, Sirius satellite radio (which I would want to keep) and steering wheel controls (which I do not necessarily need to keep). I doubt it matters but I also have dual dvd players mounted into the head rests (that came from Ford that way).

Here are the details of the cost before I even buy a new radio or speakers:

$20 - Aftermarket Radio Installation Kit
$20 - Wire Harness
$18 - Vehicle Antenna Adapter Cable
$105 - Steering Wheel Control Interface
$120 - In-Dash Video Labor
$60 - Steering Wheel Control Labor
$70 - Sirius XM Connect Satellite Radio Vehicle Tuner
$16 - 4 Year protection plan
$60 - Install Sat Radio
$15 - Blue Tooth Pairing

All of the above amounts to around $500 with some optional items included and then I would assume $300-$400 on a radio and a couple hundred more for front and rear speakers.
Looks like about $1,000 all in - does that sound relatively accurate?
Keep in mind I realize the cost of the radio and speakers could vary greatly depending on options, etc.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:49 PM
A lot of this could be done yourself and save alot of $$$$.

$20 - Aftermarket Radio Installation Kit - needed

$20 - Wire Harness - needed

$18 - Vehicle Antenna Adapter Cable - I don't know if this one is needed

$105 - Steering Wheel Control Interface - not needed, but understandable

$120 - In-Dash Video Labor - Can be done yourself easily. Not needed.

$60 - Steering Wheel Control Labor - not needed, but best option if you want to integrate steering wheel controls. A lot of people have problems with this one.

$70 - Sirius XM Connect Satellite Radio Vehicle Tuner - Depends on the Head unit. Some version of this is needed.

$16 - 4 Year protection plan - not needed, but understandable

$60 - Install Sat Radio - If you are getting any new pioneer, or any unit that uses the v200 tuner, this is a ripoff due to all you have to do is plug in the antenna into the box, then the box into the stereo. takes all of 45 seconds if you already have a siriusxm antenna installed.

$15 - Blue Tooth Pairing - not needed. Easily done in less than 5 minutes.

You can get all of it installed by someone else, but you could do it yourself in the driveway in an hour or so for significantly less. Just my $0.02

Old 11-23-2013, 06:25 PM
Hey, go to Crutchfield.com. Usually you get free wiring harnesses, adapters,
mounting kits, step by step instructions, and Lifetime support. free shipping usually also.
also you can put in all of your truck details, and it gives you option tailored for your truck.
Prices are usually good too. I completely outfitted my 94Bronco, and they had it all.

Last edited by cold45; 11-23-2013 at 06:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Thinking About Upgrading the Stock Radio - Opinions