Connecting an MP3 to the AUX input

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Connecting an MP3 to the AUX input

I have a 2004 super crew with 6cd changer HU and want to connnect a basic MP3 player to the AUX input. I have seen pinouts for the connectors and I am wondering why you cannot just wire (solder) directly to the AUX analog inputs, a connection to an 1/8 inch minature jack. All this talk about PIE adapters, and the CAN bus.... Will selecting AUX not just pick up the inputs (4 wires, L&R + -). Is the HU expecting some sort of handshake with the PIE acting as a (CAN bus emulator)?

Has anybody ever tried?

Seems like it should be simple enough, but I am just an old school electrical engineer.

Bub

Old 05-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Cool

I did what you are trying to do, but I need some more information about what you are trying to do.
I have a Alpine Multi-Disk Player still installed in my unit.
The Alpine had originally had a FM Band transmitter built into it, but I wanted base-band audio signals instead. I removed the remote control interface box at the base of the cable coming from the Player. The FM Transmitter was defeated (removed), and the L,R Audio Output was isolated from the cable. At that point I added a chassis mount 3.5mm. stereo jack, and connected those leads to that jack. A stereo, 3.5mm. cable was ran from that jack to the "Aux" input of the receiver. It plays fine in my setup. I never really liked those FM units anyway since the band is pretty busy here in the NE.
I'll see if I have any pix's.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:33 PM
Wait : I just looked at your post again. I forgot the bus connection at the receiver. If I am not mistaken the CD player puts a (+ 5, +12V) voltage on one of the leads to announce its presence. Does your radio play properly if the CD is disconnected?. That would be one limitation that I could see possibly screwing up your plans. You could affix a 3.5mm. , female jack with shielded leads to the raw aux input connection to input audio signal; however if the switching voltage doesn't appear then both the CD and Aux signals will be mixed together.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the reply. I am referring to the J3 connector diagram in this link
http://logjam.d3datasolutions.com/fo...ype=post&id=72
You can see the "stereo in" connections on pins 1,2, 9 and 10. There is no enable unless its via the Can Bus connections.

You touched on my concern about some sort of hand shake / enable from a "smart" device this was designed for. I only want a simple MP3 analog connection, no IPod control feature, etc.

Bub

Last edited by bubworley; 05-20-2009 at 08:58 PM. Reason: fix link

Quick Reply: Connecting an MP3 to the AUX input